c4oa header mint

Mystery Coin of The Carson City Mint

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #502 by LITAS
In the continuous effort to learn more about the Carson City coinage, let's try this approach.

It is designed to test your knowledge and to give you more information about your favored coins.

From the hints listed below, try to figure out what coin am I.

Hint #1: I was not part of Redfield hoard or the GSA sale.

Hint #2: I was not shipped to China for trade.

Hint #3: Some of my siblings went to Europe, but most came back.

Hint #4: They returned in AU and MS condition, but are very
"baggy" from the trip.

Hint #5: From a family of 111 members I have 19 close relatives.

Hint #6: One of my siblings sold at an auction for $149,500, but
I am readily available at a reasonable price.

Hint #7: Logotype and mintmark position variations exist, but are not important.
Two best known varieties are: Variety 1-A and Variety 1-B.

Hint #8: "United States Gold Coins" by Ambio recommends me as one of the most desirable issues for investment.

Hint #9: Among my siblings I have the highest mintage figure.

Hint #10: I was born the year James Crawford journeyed to Washington, DC.

Lets, see how many of you can figure out which Carson City coin I am.

John Armonas
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by LITAS.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #671 by Decline Don
John,

I can't believe that I am the first person to reply to your post. I think your idea of a mystery coin is great and hope to see more. Perhaps we should make it a regular category on the discussion board.

As a beginner, I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I'm looking forward to doing the research. Unfortunately, I still haven't unpacked (from my move off the mountain) my coin reference books. I won't be able to get to it until after New Years. I just didn't want you to think your effort was unappreciated.

Decline Don

More
14 years 5 months ago #676 by LITAS
Decline Don,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, you are the first person to reply to this post.

When I started the "Coin of the Week" project, the idea was to get more members involved with the Forum the "easy" way. Someone posts an image with a description of the coin. This gives a chance for the rest of us to either learn more about a particular coin or to add more information and so on...The presenter does most of the work. The postings give a reason for other members to log on at least once a week. Also, it is a good place for the begginers to get information, with a little effort on their part involved.

The "Coin of the Week" project is doing well. According to Belay Off, we have bookings into April of 2010.

The "Mystery Coin of the Carson Mint" project was ment for the more advamced collectors, who could use their knowledge to identify the described coin or post a description for another "mystery" coin. This project calls for the unique features and facts about a particular coin. It requires detective type of work. Since this project is more sophisticated, it will take some time for it to take off.

Decline Don, you broke the "ice", take a guess and identify the "mystery" coin.

Good luck.

John Armonas

More
14 years 5 months ago #679 by Garryn
I believe I know which coin it is, I will have to check "The Book" later. :laugh:

More
14 years 5 months ago #680 by randysc
Is it the 1876-CC Double Eagle?

More
14 years 5 months ago #681 by LITAS
Congratulation!

You found the right coin. Now, can you describe another CC coin,
to continue the "Mystery Coin of The Carson City Mint" trail, so
the rest of us could try to figure out your description? Make it as tough as possible.

Thank you for beeing a good sport.

John Armonas

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds