c4oa header mint

1871-CC 10C Carson City Coin of the Week 8/21/2011

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3037 by Belayoff
1871-CC DIME Carson City Coin of the Week

[img size=400]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/BelayOff/CC%20coins/CC%20Coins%20-%20non%20owned/1871-CC10cMS-61NGCObv.jpg[/IMG size] [/center] In February of 1871, 6,400 dimes were minted at the one year old Carson City branch mint. Even though the mint had been officially minting silver coins for over a year, these were the very first dimes produced at the new facility. By the end of the year, total mintage of the 1871-CC dime rounded out to 20,100 pieces. Was this a reasonable first year's production for the new branch mint, or was this total far less than was actually needed to satisfy the area's fast growing commerce? [color=#0000FF]DEMAND VS POLITICAL REALITY[/color] It seems logical that small to medium sized coinage would have been in great demand in the Comstock region during the early 1870's. Other than the larger dealings within the business community where bank drafts and large gold coins were utilized, the average citizen in and around Carson City in 1871 was more likely to exchange small denomination specie for goods and services. Ordering a steak dinner, buying a new pair of boots, stocking up on food and staples, replacing warn out tack and similar, commonplace actions totaled no more than a few dollars and would have been concluded using mostly silver coins with the occasional small denomination gold coin. Certainly, ten and twenty dollar gold pieces were less responsible for wearing holes in the pockets of the common citizen than were dimes, quarters, half dollars (the work horse coin) and silver dollars. Consider too, that during the entire 19th century, every One and Two Cent copper penny, Three Cent silver coin, Three Cent nickel piece and Five Cent nickel was minted only in Philadelphia. A few silver Half Dimes were produced out west in San Francisco, but their production did not begin until 1863 and was not particularly numerous until 1872 . The point is that by 1871, no material amounts of silver specie smaller than ten cents had ever been produced in the western states, with the exception of a few half dimes minted in San Francisco. Certainly, some amount of small denomination specie would have been shipped out west from Philadelphia, but most of that mint's production would have been utilized by the much larger, eastern seaboard population and commerce. This likely placed an unduly large transactional burden on the modest number of dimes which had been produced at the San Francisco mint since 1859. For all these reasons, it made a lot of sense for the Carson City mint to produce a significant number of silver dimes in 1871 and thereafter. Clearly, there must have been a strong demand for the very useful dime in the commerce of the Battle Born state in 1871...certainly enough for the Director of the Mint to order Carson City's branch mint Superintendant, Henry F. Rice, to produce more than 20,100 dimes! Students of the Carson City mint and its coinage know that this small production of dimes was due, in part, to powerful political opponents of the mint which forced severe limitations on Carson City coin production, especially during its first several years of operation. These same officials then used the tiny, year-end mintage totals as evidence that the Carson City mint was superfluous and should be shut down. One need only compare the 1870 through 1874 mintage totals for dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars from Carson City, San Francisco and Philadelphia to get a feel for the artificially created production imbalance. It did not help matters that the continuance of silver as a precious metal in this country was being hotly debated. To the chagrin of America's embattled Silverites, Germany demonetized silver in 1871, thereby removing its legal tender status in one of Europe's largest economies. International pressures combined with the growing political strength of gold proponents and increasing production of silver ore inevitably caused the value of silver to decline steadily during most of the 1870's decade. Silver's fortune hit its nadir with the Coinage Act of 1873, which pronounced gold as the nation's single monetary standard. [center][img size=400]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/BelayOff/CC%20coins/CC%20Coins%20-%20non%20owned/united-states-mintworkers.jpg[/IMG size][/center] [color=#0000FF]REMELTED OR RELEASED?[/color] Despite the potentially high demand for dimes in 1871 within the Comstock region, Rusty Goe explains, in The Mint on Carson Street, that nearly 90% of all silver coinage produced at Carson City was stored, and not released to the public. This may have been true for virtually all silver coins produced at Carson City preceding the 1873 Coinage Act. In another chapter, Rusty describes the irony of thousands of stored coins being remelted each year, only to be used in the manufacture of the following year's silver coins. Like so many aspects of numismatic history, this point too is not shared by all. While researching sale prices of the 1871-CC dime on the Heritage Auction web site, I read one cataloger's description which pointedly stated that all 20,100 1871-CC dimes were immediately released into commerce! In this writer's opinion, the miniscule number of remaining examples does not support this conclusion in its entirely. Certainly, some coins were released, perhaps even the first group of 6,400, but likely not the full 20,100. These and other factors ultimately combined to produce one of the rarest and most sought-after series in numismatics, the coins of the Carson City mint. This is particularly true with regard to the August 21, 2011, Carson City Coin of the Week, the 1871-CC dime. Of the 20,100 dimes originally coined at Carson City in 1871, it's estimated that only about 110, approximately one half of one percent, remain in all grades. Of these extant examples, a mere half dozen or so have been certified as uncirculated. [color=#0000FF]CHARACTERISTIC SURFACE POROSITY[/color] One of the most commonly recognized characteristics of coins produced at Carson City is their surface porosity, a rough, almost sandpaper-like condition. In this writer's limited experience, this characteristic seems to show up most frequently on Carson City dimes. Additionally, I've found surface porosity to be most noticeable on AU and Mint state condition dimes. This may be due to the surface porosity tending to wear faster than the coin's devices and other features. [center][img size=400]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/BelayOff/CC%20coins/CC%20Coins%20-%20non%20owned/molten_gold.jpg[/IMG size][/center] Most texts attribute the rough surfaces found on many Carson City coins to rusted dies and poor environmental conditions inside the mint itself, or a combination of both. Others have speculated the surface porosity is due to the possibility of the mint shortcutting the annealing process by using 100%, pure Comstock silver without the requisite 10% copper added for hardness. Of course, the only way to know this for certain is to melt one of the original 1871-CC dimes to perform an assay. I don't know anyone who wants to know the answer that bad! [center] [img size=400]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/BelayOff/CC%20coins/CC%20Dimes/cc-dime-1874-cc-pcgs55-cactest_9.jpg[/IMG size] [/center] [center][color=#008000]POROUS REVERSE SECTION OF CARSON CITY MINTED DIME[/color][/center] [color=#0000FF] INSPECTION PROCEDURE PRESERVED MINT STATE COINS.[/color] The Director of the Mint required that all branch mint superintendants send examples of every denomination struck at their facility each new year. Had it not been for this requirement, many of the uncirculated Carson City coins known to modern day numismatics would not exist. As of today, there are only eight known uncirculated 1871-CC dimes, a few of which are likely resubmissions of the same coin. It would be very interesting to know whether Superintendant Rice recorded for posterity the actual number of 1871-CC dimes he sent back east for the Director's examination. It is well known that the Carson City mint did not produce proof coinage for collectors as part of its regular business. But in 1871, it appears that Superintendant Rice, or one of the mint's employees may actually have done so. In the Mint on Carson Street, Rusty Goe writes about one example of the 1871-CC dime which he believes should be designated as a Proof strike, or at the very least a Specimen strike. This 1871-CC dime is known as the Stack Specimen, graded a whopping MS-65 by NGC. Try as I might, I was not able to locate a photo of this fabulous coin. However, I will leave the space below open in case someone else does have an image of this coin and is willing to send it to me so I can add it to this article. PHOTO 0F THE STACK'S SPECIMEN 1871-CC Dime MS-65 NGC (PROOF ?) The definition of a "Specimen" coin varies between references. However, most sources agree that specimen coins are minted carefully from brand new working dies. A slower speed strike might be involved as well as a planchet purposefully selected for its quality. The word "specimen" is frequently used interchangeably with "example" when discussing specific coins, which usage has nothing to do with the quality of the strike and can lead to confusion. Authors typically capitalize Specimen strike while the alternative meaning is not. There is no confusion, however, when it comes to the definition of "Proof" coinage. Highly polished planchets are carefully prepared and struck more than once to achieve very highly defined devices, sharp rims and mirror-like surfaces. The speed of the die strike as well as the amount of pressure applied to the planchet may also be varied when producing a proof coin. The photo below is one of the two coins graded MS-65 by NGC. However, I do not believe this is the former Stacks specimen, the coin discussed above which may be a true, Carson City proof strike. Nonetheless, it's a beauty! NGC reports the owner's registry handle as "Yeoldeone". [center][img size=240]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/BelayOff/CC%20coins/CC%20Coins%20-%20non%20owned/1871-CC10cMS-65NGCOBV.jpg[/img]
1871-CC DIME MS-65 NGC

POPULATION AND PRICING

PCGS Census: The company has certified forty-three examples of the 1871-CC Dime, only two of which are Mint State. The company has graded five coins from AU-50 through AU-55 with the 36 remaining coins residing in FR-2 through XF-45 holders.

PCGS Price Guide: I have included Mint State prices only for the two grades in which PCGS has actually certified examples of the 1871-CC Dime.

PCGS Price Guide

2 to 10 = 1,500 - 3,900
12 to 15 = 6,250 - 7,000
25 to 35 = 11,000 - 14,000
40 to 45 = 16,500 - 19,000
50 to 53 = 21,000 - 25,000
55 to 58 = 30,000 - 50,000
MS 63 = 110,000
MS 64 = 160,000

NGC Census: The company has certified twenty-two examples of the 1871-CC Dime. Six of these are Mint State examples of which two are graded MS-61, two are MS-62 and two are certified at the gem level grade of MS-65.

NGC Price Guide: NGC provides somewhat less detailed pricing information. Seemingly blatant is their omission of a price estimate for MS-65 since NGC has certified two examples of the 1871-CC Dime in this gem grade.

NGC Price Guide
AG to G = 1,400 - 1,740
VG to F = 3,330 - 6,420
VF to XF = 8,500 - 12,420
50 to 53 = 22,810 - 25,000
55 to 58 = 33,440 - 40,630
60 to 61 = 54,380 - 60,630
MS 62 = 68,130
MS 65 = no price given

A FEW RECENT SALES

Grade Price Date Sale

NG $1,495 Aug-2011 Heritage 2011 August Chicago Signature US Coin & Platinum Night

AU50 - $21,850 Mar-2011 Heritage Sacramento Signature ANA Auction

AU55 - $27,600 Sep-2010 Heritage Long Beach, Signature Auction

NG - $1,840 Sep-2010 Heritage Long Beach, Signature Auction

AG3 - $1,495 Sep-2010 Heritage Long Beach, Signature Auction

1871-CC DIME - TYPE

The 1871-CC Dime, with the legend "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the obverse, is most frequently described as the 4th Variety" of Seated Liberty dime. For those type collectors who like to cut finer lines between varieties, the 1856 resumption of the 2nd variety could technically be called the 4 variety of Seated Liberty dime, making the 1871-CC dime a member of the 5th generation of this venerable series. All told, there are up to seven varieties of the Seated Liberty dime series, depending on one's definition of what makes a coin a different "type" or variety form its brethren. Other than these purposeful design changes, there are no other minting process related varieties of the 1871-CC dime.

1871-CC DIME - A SEMI-KEY COLLECTIBLE

Even discounting the unique, 1873-CC Without Arrows dime, the four years of dime coinage from 1871 through 1874 at Carson City include some of today's most sought after rarities. While not the absolute rarest of this small group, the 1871-CC dime exists in only slightly higher numbers than the 1873-CC and 1874-CC dimes. Consider the following; Louis Eliasberg's famous type collection included three 1871 Seated Liberty dimes. His 1871 Philadelphia minted dime was graded Proof 63. His 1871-S example was graded MS-65. But his 1871-CC dime was only AU-50!

With less than 25 certified examples combined, inclusive of all remaining XF, AU and MS graded coins, the 1871-CC dime must be considered one of the most important, semi-key dates within the Carson City coin series.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Carsonite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3039 by Garryn
Very complete assessment of coinage in 1871. Great job Belay! That wraps up another year.

To piggy-back on Drummer's comment, is the proof or specimen 1871-CC dime accounted for in a collection?

Gar
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Garryn.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3040 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

May I commend you on yet another fab COW post of one of the great "CC" rarities...the 1871-CC seated dime. Again, you have done a ton of research and your post reflects that.

I didn't realize that surface porosity was so prevalent on the most of the early "CC" dime issues until I read your post. Now that I think of it, I have never really seen (or held) one of these rarities that didn't exhibit this trait.
I do hope that someone out there has a picture of the elusive "proof" 1871-CC dime...I'd love to see it. meanwhile, the pics you provided show some beauties....I especially love the toning on the "yeoldeone" example.

Thanks again for another superb post

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 8 months ago #3043 by maryelise8863
Belay Off, and everyone who writes these great articles...

The knowledge you have, and the research you do, for these articles makes my head hurt. You guys are incredible!

I always hated this line, but here goes... "When I win the lottery..." I promise to become a genuine CC collector! Until then I'll just have to admire all of you. :P

Mary Elise/Coattails

Mary Elise

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3046 by Carsonite
Belay Off,

You took on the challenge of writing an article about an extremely rare-date issue from the Carson City Mint with full-on passion. Your enthusiasm for your subject comes through loud and clear. I know that anyone who reads your COTW posting will come away from the experience with a fuller appreciation of the elusive 1871-CC dime.

You quoted me from TMOCS

Despite the potentially high demand for dimes in 1871 within the Comstock region, Rusty Goe explains, in The Mint on Carson Street, that nearly 90% of all silver coinage produced at Carson City was stored, and not released to the public.

I have to say that once upon a time, when I groped for answers to explain the many mysteries about "CC" coiange, and found very little information published about the Carson Mint and its coins, I was at the mercy of researchers like Walter Breen, circumstantial evidence, and my own conjectures. (By the way, I'm still groping for answers.)

I don't have absolute proof that the Carson City Mint withheld large percentages of its silver coin production from the early years. Breen said this was the case, although he did not cite his sources.

The meagre survival populations suggest that this theory could be true. On the other hand, since a dime was the smallest denomination used in northwestern Nevada at this time, it is possible the demand for every piece the Carson City Mint could supply would have necessitated release of all ten-cent pieces.

As you pointed out, political chicanery, which we know influenced decisions about the Carson City Mint, and brought in question its usefulness to the nation, must also be weighed in. Researchers and collectors will be debating this topic forever.

You wrote:

This 1871-CC dime is known as the Stack Specimen, graded a whopping MS-65 by NGC.... Try as I might, I was not able to locate a photo of this fabulous coin. However, I will leave the space below open in case someone else does have an image of this coin and is willing to send it to me so I can add it to this article.

Actually, you did find images of this coin. It is the coin pictured three paragraphs below in your article, the one in Yeoldeone's collection. Mr. Yeoldeone bought this piece in Bowers & Merena's March 2005 sale for $230,000. In January 1990, it sold in Stack's sale of a portion of the James A. Stack collection for $50,600.

The Stack's cataloguer described it as follows: "A wholly prooflike example, sharply struck and cameo-like. In fact, without looking for the mintmark, one could be easily lulled into thinking it is a Proof!" I guess I was lulled into believing this was a possiblity.

B. Max Mehl, one of the most prominent rare coin dealers and auctioneers of the first half of the 20th century, also believed an 1871-CC dime, which he sold in his Will W. Neil auction in June 1947, was a Proof specimen. He described it in part as follows: "A beautiful proof specimen, wire edges on reverse." The winning bidder paid $217.50 for it. We don't know if James A. Stack bought the dime in that sale, but this was certainly the time he was building his world-class collection (Unfortunately, there's no picture of the 1871-CC dime in the Neil catalog, so we can't compare it with the Stack (Yeoldeone) coin).

But anyway, you had the picture you were looking for, right under your nose. By the way, I have taken criticism for my saying that the Stack 1871-CC dime is a Proof or a Specimen strike. Likewise, Mehl, who had a reputation of calling many coins Proofs, just because he was awed by their appearances, has been bashed too. And I'm sure the cataloguer at Stack's in 1990, received his share of snarling scorn for his description of the Stack 1871-CC dime. We all do the best we can with the resources available to us.

You wrote:

Louis Eliasberg's ... 1871-CC dime was only AU-50!

This coin eventually upgraded to AU-53. It has prooflike surfaces and a bold strike, and although it is not in the same class as the Stack-Yeoldeone specimen, it is a beauty.

Once again, your COTW essay stimulated all of us who read it. Great job!

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Spacing

More
12 years 8 months ago #3047 by Loosechange
I also echo the sentiments of Rusty! Great job Belay, what a prolific writer you have become. That MS-65 gorgeous specimen seems for sure that it was struck on a specially prepared planchet. Last month I was able to view up close and personal an 1871-CC PCGS XF-45 coin from the Gerry Fortin Collection of Liberty Seated Dimes. I can tell you seeing one of these gems in hand is something to behold, a behemoth of a coin in that lofty grade of MS65 is like "CC" heaven. Thanks again Belay for a very informative post on one special rare coin.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds