c4oa header mint

1873-CC Without Arrows 10c CC Coin of the Week Part One - 12-18-11

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3832 by Carsonite
Article Removed – January 2, 2012

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Ms. Maya.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3833 by Loosechange
Outstanding first part here Rusty!!!! It is great to be able to see photos of the players that were involved with the King of Carson City coins! Heading to part 2.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3837 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

Whew! A kingly essay for the king of Carson City!

After a busy weekend of holiday visiting friends and family I have found a nice private moment of time to give your December 18, 2011 1873-CC without arrows dime Coin of the Week post my reply and short review.

To say that your post is great is an understatement indeed! It is simply light years beyond anything I've ever read about this regal issue.

I could spend an entire books worth of writing to describe the many things I've learned in your sensational post so for the sake of space I will mention only a few of the many.

First and foremost, in your post you have clearly defined and given the attentive reader a comprehensive understanding of the word "unique". In its correct usage, "unique" conveys much weight, reverence and awe especially in the fields of numismatics. This "defining of the term" if you will, beautifully sets the pace for the entirety of the post.

Before this post I never knew that coiner Chauncey Norman Noteware and his staff were those responsible for the manufacture of THE dime (or 12,400 of them to be precise)...not only that, but I learned that all on the same day (Monday, March 3, 1873), they also coined 1300 "CC" seated dollars and 40,000 "CC" without arrows half dollars. This is just one of the many things new to my knowledge base presented in this post.

The entire post brought forth the amazing and mysterious history of this kingly rarity in a "cannot stop reading" chronological order.
The picture portraits of the key participants in this coin's history were presented here in this post for the first time (I believe) ever in the most thorough historical account of this coin's travels through time.

Your essay Rusty deserves to be read and re-read by thousands - even hundreds of thousands instead of just the handful that will read it here on this site (sad to say)...it would only help to aid this kingly coin in catching up with the other heralded rarities in achieving the recognition it deserves.

Who ever could believe that "one thin dime" could be so regal? "It's a fine dime" indeed!!!

The picture images you provided of "The King" are dazzling as is your explanation of the key diagnostics of this "no other possible varieties" issue. You provided a great picture of the die reverse die crack through the "CC's" in the mintmark.

As a complete "CC" fan I have to be realistic and say that there is little to no chance I could ever hope of having in becoming one of the storied stewards of "The King"....but should amazing fortune ever occur personally, this treasure would be the first I would seek. After all as Louis E. Eliasburg might have said to himself..."What Price Glory?"

This final 2-part COW post puts a cap on the mountain that has been this fabulous 111 CC Coin of the Week project. This project that started with such humble beginnings, that evolved and took on a life of its own and then finished ina blaze of glory that your final-4 posts have been.

I copied and saved your final-4 "CC Royalty" articles and made my own book...(why wait for the publishers?) I will show you the front cover and the first article header page to give you an idea how it came out. Every word of every Royal article is in this book:

and the first pages to give an idea what the rest of the book is like:

"Hail to the King"

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #3840 by Carsonite
Michael "The Drummer,"

You have been a faithful supporter of this COTW project since Day One. I have appreciated your enthusiasm all the way.

I'm glad that you unearthed some meaty information from my latest and final article (about the 1873-CC Without Arrows dime), and that you were impelled to post some of your comments.

One thing you pointed out was:

The picture portraits of the key participants in this coin's history were presented here in this post for the first time (I believe) ever in the most thorough historical account of this coin's travels through time.

A few of these images have appeared in other places over the years, but this is the first time that all of the images have appeared together. As far as I know, an image of A. G. Heaton has never appeared anywhere in modern times. I thought it fitting to include a picture of him because of his significance to mintmarked coin collectors, and especially to collectors of the "CC" issues.

Your compilation of my four articles (in notebook form) about the four landmark coins from the Carson City Mint is in line with what Marie and Maya have done, as they have been gathering many pages of my writings as we prepare to put my next book together. The small group of readers on this C4OA discussion board have received a sneak preview of what is to come.

Thank you Michael for banging the drum for the last two years and three months about this 111-week project, and for your laudatory reviews of my recent contributions.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Carsonite.

More
12 years 4 months ago #3841 by coindrummer
Thank you for your nice words about my reply Carsonite.

This project has been so great in so many surprising ways...now that it's over, I will miss it!

Thank you for being a friend, a teacher, a writing instructor, a wonderful and trusted coin dealer, a brother and just an over-all encouraging person.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 4 months ago #3848 by Belayoff
Rusty,

Sorry about that .... Had I checked Websters first I would have done better. I meant to say that the article was more like a small novel.

I also want to second Drummer's point about the unique photographs that accompanied your treatise, discourse, dissertation, exposition, thesis, essay and,or paper. It was terrific, regardless how described.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds