c4oa header mint

Theodore Robert (Bob) Hofer Signature

More
13 years 2 months ago #2040 by coindrummer
Greetings all C4OAers and "CC" fans

I have a new "toy" courtesy of my good friend Deepsouthspike

"Deepsouth" was kind enough to send me this $40.00 check issued from
The Bullion & Exchange Bank Carson City NV dated Dec. 8, 1893.

It is payable to I. Jones (Indiana Jones maybe? :laugh: or perhaps a relative of the great NV Senator John Percival Jones?) here's a closeup of the endorser signature:

It is signed by the secretary of the bank T.R.Hofer who just happened to be the superintendent of the Carson City mint. The check is countersigned by the bank president E. Williams. here's a close-up of T.R. Hofer's signature:

Words cannot express my shock, surprise and happiness when I received this in the mail today. This was a most welcome and unexpected gift.
Thank you so much Deepsouthspike!!!

I must display the special (and legal) stamp used on this envelope sent from Deepsouthspike....What a promotion for our C4OA club. Way to go!!!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2045 by Garryn
Welcome to the "Hofer Club" Drummer... I love that I. Jones name. Too funny!! :laugh: :laugh:

More
13 years 2 months ago #2046 by coindrummer
Thank you Garryn

It's a pleasure to be a new member of the "Hofer" club

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2048 by Carsonite
Hey all of you members of the Hofer Fan Club,

Please check out Hal Dunn's last article, published less than two months after he died, in the winter 2006 issue of Curry's Chronicle. In it Hal wrote about a letter Hofer received from a banker in Kansas who asked if Hofer could send him some "CC" coins, and possibly the name and address of a coin collector in Carson City.

I had recently discovered an unpublished picture of Hofer that I planned on surprising Hal Dunn with when it appeared in his article. Unfortunately, Hal passed away before he could see the Hofer image in his Curry's article (although I'm sure he saw it from his vantage point in Heaven).

By the way, for anyone interested, the correct pronunciation of Hofer's last name is Hoe-fur; and although his first and middle names were Theodore Robert, his friends called him Bob. He had a son named Theodore Robert Hofer, Jr., who was also a prominent citizen in Carson City.

You can read more about Hofer and his family in my book James Crawford: Master of the Mint at Carson City. On page 346, I write about Hofer and his wife's heartbreaking loss of their three-year-old son Johnny.

Rusty

P.S. - I would appreciate it if any of you who have not already done so would reply to Maya's posting on this discussion board about the spring 2011 issue of Curry's Chronicle being mailed. Thanks

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Text sizing

More
13 years 2 months ago #2049 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

Thank you very much for this wonderful info. I'm just very happy now to have at least one authentic signature from Bob Hofer in my collection..courtesy of Deepsouthspike. I will re-read Hal's article today...get a memory re-fresher!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2056 by Loosechange
Thanks Carsonite, I am hitting the books now for a refresher on T.R.Hofer too.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds