c4oa header mint

Hal Dunn Trade Token

More
13 years 5 months ago #1664 by Garryn
Hal Dunn Trade Token was created by Garryn
This thread was moved from the Curry's Chronicle section.

I wanted to share this with everyone. This was just delivered to my home today. Tom DeFina wrote an article in the Spring 2009 Issue, Hal's Dunn It Again , where he included a photo of a nice Hal Dunn Trade Token. This one is in brass. Circa 1974. The inscription on the obverse reads: Hal Dunn / Carson City / Nevada / Twenty Five Years of / Collecting / 1949 - 1974. The reverse is easier to read. The inner circle is one inch in diameter. Maybe 1/16 inch thick. There are a few small verdigris spots on the obverse that I treated with some acetone. Scuff marks on the edges that are hardly worth mentioning. You can see some of the high luster on this token. Very little wear. It's very impressive. I was looking at Tom's article again and this token is one that appears on the cover of the "Nevada Trade Tokens" book that is featured in the article.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #1665 by Carsonite
Replied by Carsonite on topic Re:Hal Dunn Trade Token
Garry,

This is a good way to generate deserved memories of Hal V. Dunn. As a charter member of the Carson City Coin Collectors of America, Hal brought much enthusiasm to the start of the club. He contributed an article to each of the first six issues of Curry's Chronicle, and would have continued contributing articles if not for his untimely death in October 2006.

When you get a chance to read Bruce Thayer's fall-winter 2010 Curry's article about the August 2010 C4OA regional meeting in Carson City, NV, you will see that Tom DeFina shared an assortment of Hal V. Dunn memorabilia. This assortment included an example of the token pictured in your posting above.

Hal Dunn would have loved this new Nevada & Carson City Exonumia category in this discussion board forum, because it is this on which he concentrated his collecting pursuits.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 5 months ago #1687 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Hal Dunn Trade Token
I saw that. If and when I get to one of the meetings I will bring this along. It is quite an impressive piece. Looking back at the topics Mr. Dunn published, I know we lost a valued and irreplaceable contributor.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1833 by deepsouthspike
Garry,

I would first like to say Thank you for starting this subject/topic line about Hal Dunn. As I had written in my article back in the Spring 2009 edition of Curry's Chronicle, Hal was one of the founding members of this great C4OA organization and as such, he certainly deserves proper recognition. Hal V. Dunn had a passion and absoluteness of dedication towards the C4OA and it is easily said that he has left a lasting legacy behind him. So much so, that the C4OA Literary Award has been named in his honor. Tokens and items relating to Hal can be located with some searching and the token you have posted is one of several that Hal had circulated. (In addition to being a founding member of the C4OA, Hal was also a Sheriff of Carson City Nevada)

While I have not had as much time to be on this discussion board as I would like to due to my work/family schedule/responsibilities, I am slowly finding avenues to create some time so I may be able to share my "cc" passions such as yourself. I am going to give it a try and see if I can attach more examples of Hal's tokens for all to see and enjoy! Perhaps someone can assist me and let me know how to post more than 1 image? In the mean time I will keep trying to attach more photos.

Best,
Tom DeFina
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by deepsouthspike.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1835 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Hal Dunn Trade Token
Hi Tom,
Looking forward to reading more of your posts on the board here as your time allows. I also want to thank you for all your contributions to Curry's Chronicles articles as well as the word searches which I find educational as well as fun. You are an important cog in our award winning journal.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 3 months ago #1839 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Hal Dunn Trade Token
Thanks for the comments, Tom. If I were you, I would just copy over img files. That works well here.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds