c4oa header mint

Virginia City, the movie

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3038 by Garryn
Five months ago, Deepsouthspike asked the question in the Comstock Era section if anyone had seen the movie Virginia City. I recently recalled that I have a book of all Errol Flynn's movies that is copyrighted 1973. In there is a pictorial of the 1940 film, Virginia City. The book belonged to my late aunt, who among millions of other women was a huge Errol Flynn fan. Here are most of the photos with identification..

The cover:

Text:

Continuation of text:

Miriam Hopkins and Errol Flynn

Guinn Williams, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn. In the stagecoach is Alan Hale, Sr. This for all of you interested in what Humphrey Bogart looks like in Western garb.

Randolph Scott, Miriam Hopkins, Errol Flynn

Bottom: Randolph Scott, Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins

There might be some younger members who don't recognize the name Alan Hale. As Randy points out and corrected me below, Alan Hale, Jr. was a co-star of the 1960's sitcom "Gilligan's Island". His father, Alan Hale Sr., was a regular in Errol Flynn movies and played dramatic roles in such films as Robin Hood [Little John]; Dodge City [Rusty Hart]; The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex {Earl of Tyrone]; and The Sea Hawk [Carl Pitt]. This information, again, as provided by Randy, below. Thanks, Randy!!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Garryn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3041 by coindrummer
Hi Garryn

I've yet to see this movie...I'll definitely make a point of hunting it up and watching.
Good post dad of two drummer ahhhh!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 8 months ago #3042 by maryelise8863
How cool is this? Thanks, Garryn!

Isn't there some Carson City movie too?

Mary Elise/Coattails

Mary Elise

More
12 years 8 months ago #3044 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Virginia City the movie
According to the write-up, the closest they got to Virginia City and Carson City was the Painted Desert, Arizona and Calabasas, California.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3045 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Virginia City the movie
I have not seen the movie either. Robin Hood remains one of my favorite movies of all time. I could watch that one all day. There is a discussion of the arrow splitting scene in this book. It was actually done by an expert who taught Errol Flynn archery for the film and he also appears in the movie. He may be the guy standing next to Flynn when he appears as the tinker at the archery tournament. I will post that pic here when I can. Stand by....
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Garryn.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3048 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:Virginia City the movie
Garry-
One correction, the one who played the Skipper,(Skipper's real name was Jonas Grumby) on "Gilligan's Island" was not Alan Hale, but was his son Alan Hale Jr. Alan Hale Sr. passed away in 1950, about 14 years before the TV show. They amazingly look alike. Loved the movie.
-R-
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by randysc.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds