c4oa header mint

'Doctoring' a Challenge to Define

More
12 years 6 months ago #3630 by maryelise8863

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3632 by Garryn
This is a great topic to discuss. I will give a more thoughtful response a little later. But to add fuel to the fire, consider that the ingots and double eagles and other miscellaneous coins from the S.S. Central America shipwreck were seriously conservated and there has been little controversy over that.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3633 by maryelise8863
Garryn, looking forward to your expanded input when time allows.

Mary Elise

More
12 years 6 months ago #3634 by Loosechange
Garry, Seems like it depends on who is doing the doctoring for it to be legit. Just my opinion. They just call it conserving.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago #3648 by pmk700
I am a relative novice at this, but I wonder if this quote from the end of the article is a bit limiting....

"Coin doctoring is the willful application of any substance to, or the removal of any material (except contaminants) from, the original surface of a coin with malicious intent to defraud."

Does coin doctoring occur only when there is "malicious intent to defraud?" Just a thought.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3649 by Garryn
I saw that too. Cleanng a coin could be done on any motivation. Doctoring a coin infers an intent to deceive someone into believing the coin has natural surfaces; hiding a defect from a potential buyer.

But the article drifts from doctoring a coin to deceive and general cleaning.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Garryn.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds