c4oa header mint

1880-CC GSA VAM 7 and 7A?

More
12 years 6 months ago #3475 by gsmick
I am looking for some specific differences in the VAM 7 and 7A for the 1880-CC Morgan $1. I have looked at VAM World photos, and see that the second 8 in the VAM 7 has the part of a 7 in the upper and lower loops. 7A just has the "dash" below the 8. It makes references to other differences that don't make much sense to me. Could someone simplify the other differences? Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3481 by Loosechange
Glenn, I too have an 1880-CC GSA Morgan. It is the 80/79 reverse of 78 type. Do you know if the is a special VAM number that is associated with this type. I also posted in another thread regarding my 1882-CC with the 1 under the 8 as well as clash marks. The diagnostics though don't seem to match what I have. Could it be a new variety? I am not sure but I will bring it with me to the Boston show and see if anyone can help in a couple of weeks. I will let you know what I find.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3484 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:1880-CC GSA VAM 7 and 7A?
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the first two photos on the 1880-CC VAM 7 page are not of a VAM 7. It looks like a VAM 6 [Low 7] See the VAM 6 page. www.vamworld.com/1880-CC+VAM-6

The four VAM 7 photos follow those two. www.vamworld.com/1880-CC+VAM-7

The only difference between the VAM 7 and 7A then, is the clashed "n" from the reverse Motto "In God We Trust" along the neckline. There also may be some misc. clashes visible in the loops of the second 8 of the date.

Mark, the only knowen VAM numbers for 1880-CC with the reverse of '78 are VAM 4, 7 and 7A. I saw in your post in the 1880-CC VAM 4 thread below started by Glenn, you mention you have the 80/79-CC. That is the VAM 4. Thats a nice one to have in a GSA holder. Mine is in a PCGS holder and my VAMs 5 and 6 are in GSA holders.

www.vamworld.com/1880-CC+VAMs date.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Garryn.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3487 by gsmick
Replied by gsmick on topic Re:1880-CC GSA VAM 7 and 7A?
Correct me if I am wrong, but VAM's 5 and 6 have the reverse of 79 (slanted top arrow). VAM 7's have the reverse of 78 (parallel top arrow). The images of VAM 7's do show the reverse of 78. I guess I am having trouble identifying the clashed "n". I try to look closer. Thanks to all for input. Feel free to add more.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3492 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:1880-CC GSA VAM 7 and 7A?
Yes the VAM 5 and 6 have the reverse of '79. If you cannot see that squiggly clash line along the neck, then maybe you have a 7.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3494 by Loosechange
Thanks Garry for the VAM info. I was lucky to find this particular coin with the reverse of 78. I had one another one 80/79 but a reverse of 79 in a GSA also. Traded that one off before joining the Carson City Coin Collectors of America.....The greatest club in numismatics.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds