c4oa header mint

NGC Certifies new Tripled Die Reverse 1892-CC Eagle

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2014 by coindrummer
Greetings all "CC" fans

I'm sure a lot of you out there have already heard about this new find, but in case you haven't heard, here's a little info on the subject

You can read all about this amazing find in Coin World Feb. 21, 2011 Vol. 52, Issue 2654.

The CW article made no mention of who the owner of this coin is, but the detection of this new variety was accidental as it was not originally submitted for variety attribution. This accidental discovery was considered to important to let it slip through without noting the variety. This is the first variety reported by NGC for the 1892-CC $10.

I don't currently own one of these so I scanned the images directly from the CW magazine. Therefore, the image quality is very poor. For that, I apologize but I included the pictures just to give a rough idea what the diagnostic of the new found variety looks like. I also wanted to portray what the NGC capsule looks like and how that company marked the new variety.

The coin has been graded MS-61+ by NGC and labeled on the grading insert as VP-001 (Variety Plus - 001)

Everyone get out your 1892-CC $10 pieces and let's see if any of our club memebers have one of these babies. If so, please provide upgraded photos.

Thanks to NGC and Coin World for providing this great article.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by coindrummer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2023 by Belayoff
Drummer,

Pretty cool stuff. Believe it or not, My MS-61 example of the 1892-CC Eagle is the tripled die variety! It makes me wonder if this variety is not as uncommon as one might otherwise think?

For some reason, I cannot find a photo of my coin right now, but will post it later.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Belayoff.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2025 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

I can't wait to see the picture of your example of this newly discovered TDR 1892-CC $10. I don't know how many of these varieties may begin to surface but if it does prove to be a rarity, then you have scored a home run on your coin.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2027 by Carsonite
Michael,

Look for the February 28, 2011 issue of Coin World for a follow-up story on this "new" 1892-CC TDR $10 gold piece discovery.

A representative at NGC called me two months ago to tell me about the MS-61+ specimen of this variety that his company recently attributed. I told him I wasn't familiar with it, and I asked him if there were clash marks in the fields on both sides of the eagle's neck. This would make it a 2-A variety. The interesting thing will be to see if all examples of the 2-A variety have the Triple Die Reverse.

I submitted an 1892-CC eagle from my inventory to NGC for attribution. I will share more about this at a later time.

Since NGC broke the news about this "new" variety, I have received many phone calls and emails.

One thing, as you will see in Coin World's February 28 issue, this whole affair will bring much needed publicity to the Carson City Coin Collectors of America.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2028 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

re: 1892-CC $10 TDR NGC MS-61 VP-001

Very interesting news here concerning this new variety discovery. I should have known that you would have advance knowledge of this.
The original article in CW didn't make mention of the fact that the coin was a 2-A variety so that's news to me.

I agree, it'll be interesting to see if all the tripled die reverse 1892-CC eagles are variety 2-A's.
I suppose that we'll have to wait and see how many of these TDR issues show up before determining if they will sell for a premium or not.

CW must have thought this a pretty important discovery as it was on their front cover.

Thank you for this info update here

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2030 by Loosechange
it doesn't get any better than this guys!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds