c4oa header mint

1880-CC $10 PCGS AU50 Picture (maybe ex-Norweb?)

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3146 by OriginalCC
Hello, I just submitted my first post under CC silver non-Morgans, and posted an image of a 1875-CC 20 cents PCGS AU50. Please check it out.

Here is an image of an 1880-CC $10 PCGS AU50. I bought it raw 6/7 years ago. Its a nice original coin. Decent luster, a little dirt, and most importantly no heavy marks. I do think the strike may be weak? (Experts chime in).

I bought it from a collector who set up at a local show. Claims he bought it out of the Norweb sale. If anyone has a Norweb catalog, please look it up, I'd like to verify. I doubt, because of the value, there would be a picture of the coin in the sale. Also, the coin was probably graded VF/XF back then (1987?). Gradeflation.

Enjoy.

Crusty CC coins are great!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Image resizing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3149 by Garryn
It would be tough to trace that to a particular collection without a plate in the catalog. There are a few marks on the coin which would be telling. Another idea is to go to the auction house, [Bowers and Merena/Stacks] and ask them if they have a photo in their archives.

Without that, can you ask the seller if he has his purchase invoice?

More
12 years 7 months ago #3155 by OriginalCC
I've never seen the catalog, so I don't know if it was plated. The purchase was awhile ago from someone I can't track down. Thanks for the ideas.

Crusty CC coins are great!

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3156 by Garryn
If there weas an 1880-cc Eagle in the Norweb Collection, I would bet that Stacks/ Bowers would have a photo of the coin. That collection was near and dear to Dave Bowers.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Garryn.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3170 by coindrummer
Hi Original CC

Whether it is an ex-Norweb or not, you have a very nice looking coin there!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3178 by Belayoff
Guys,

The Norweb family's Carson City coins included an XF-40 example of the 1893-CC $10. The coin was an ex-Morganthau collection piece originally purchased by Henry Norweb Sr. back in 1935.

The coin was sold in the second (or maybe it was the third) Norweb auction held by Bowers and Marina. The sale took place in March, 1988 with Norweb's XF-40 1880-CC $10 selling for an earth shattering $715.

There were many new record sale prices achieved at the Norweb auction, as well as many more great coins that sold for prices which seem to us like highway robbery. Over 4,000 of the Norweb family's coins were sold with the total hammer price surpassing $20,000,000. These coins had been collected over a period of almost 100 years by five different Norweb family members beginnin in about 1890, through the time of the collection's sale by Henry Norweb Jr. in 1988.

Henry Norweb Sr.

The 1880-CC Eagle pictured below is from the Rian's Bequest Collection of Carson City coins.

1880-CC $10 AU-55 NGC

The quality of the coins assembled in the great collections, such as the Norweb, Eliasberg, Bass, Green, Lang, Stack and in modern times, Battleborn are truly amazing. Today, the average, mere millionaire would not be able to afford building a collection on par with those of the past. I would venture to say that most of the major collections of the 20th century would require at least an eight figure committment to assemble today.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Belayoff.

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds