c4oa header mint

Coin Press Number 1

More
14 years 6 months ago #519 by Garryn
Coin Press Number 1 was created by Garryn
Here is a media picture of Coin Press Number 1 and ongoing discussion.

www.vamworld.com/message/view/home/16281677

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #525 by LITAS
Replied by LITAS on topic Re:Coin Press Number 1

This is how the press #1 looked during my visit to the Nevada State Museum in the fall of 2008. The press is green, in 1870 they already were way ahead of present day ecologist. All we need to do now is to
figure out if the coins were "organically" produced. I am a chemist, so I am allowed to make chemical jokes.

The press had to be "inorganic" in order to make coins at 175 tons of pressure. It was very well built considering all its travels before ending up in the museum.

In 1869 it traveled to Carson City from Philadelphia. In 1899 was returned to Philadelphia. In 1945 was sent to San Francisco. In 1955
back to Carson City. In 1964 was working in Denver Mint and finally
in 1967 returned to the Nevada Stae Museum. At the museum once a month it is used to make commemorative medalions. These medalions can be bought at the gift shop.

What a great machine!

John Armonas
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by LITAS.

More
14 years 6 months ago #534 by LITAS
Replied by LITAS on topic Re:Coin Press Number 1

The dress code was somewhat different in those days.The planchets for coins were fed through a brass tube in front of the dies. The lady has her right hand at the top of the tube. Most of this work was done by
women.

This photograph appears in the "Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States" a complete encyclopedea, Volume II, p.2296 by Q. David Bowers.

John Armonas

More
14 years 6 months ago #535 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Coin Press Number 1
Wearing that outfit around machinery is a safety nightmare now!!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2334 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Coin Press Number 1
Great pictures, I wonder why these positions were mainly done by the women of their time. I know that they had a knack for weighing and filing planchets to keep the weights of the coins uniform.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds