c4oa header mint

Another Mystery Coin of the Carson City Mint

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #729 by randysc
Okay, here we go, see if anyone can figure me out.

Hint #1- When I came to be, Rutherford B. Hayes was President of the United States.

Hint #2- Walter Breen in his "Encyclopedia of U. S. Coins" once claimed that only 10-12 of me survived. Although I am a bit rare, he was wrong, there are more of me than that number to have survived.

Hint #3- Good luck finding me in uncirculated condition. There may be one of me around in that grade, but probably not.

Hint #4- I have only one variety, called 1-A, of it my reverse has clash marks, same as described on my sibling of one year younger, meaning the same reverse die was used to strike both of us.

Hint #5- Okay, I was born the same year as the first year the New Orleans Mint began stiking coins again since ceasing operations at the outbreak of the Civil War.

Hint #6- I come from a good size family myself. I have 19 big cousins and 19 little cousins as well.

Hint #7- Depending on the grade, I can cost anywhere from around $3,500 to about $40,000.

Hint #8- My composition's atomic number is 79 and when they melted us down, it got up to 1947.52 degrees F.

Hint #9- I exist mostly in the grade of Very Fine.

Take a guess as to who I am
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by randysc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #731 by Wags
I'll take a shot at it - is it the 1879-CC $10 Eagle?

Mike

More
14 years 4 months ago #739 by randysc
You have chosen wisely and correctly, Mike. It is the 1879-CC eagle.
Any one else care to try posting a "Mystery Coin" Come on, give it a try.

More
14 years 4 months ago #756 by Belayoff
Very fine?..HMMM.. I would guess Haily Berry?

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds