c4oa header mint

San Francisco Mint photos

More
14 years 4 days ago #1160 by Wags
A bit off topic, but still related to the mining era of the 1800's. There is an article posted in the San Francisco Chronicle with photos of the old San Francisco Mint.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/...10/05/12/OLDMINT.DTL

The mint has been closed and will eventually be turned into a museum once enough money is raised. I was actually able to go on a tour there last fall. Scott Griffin of Griffin Coins started a bi-annual coin show at the mint. It's an interesting place to have a coin show while walking through all the old rooms of the mint.

A couple of highlights from the photos that I remember from the tour:

Photo 2 & 4 - the entire basement was turned into vaults. The storage rooms had their windows bricked up and the walls lined with steel. And, vault doors were added. The vaults held bags of coins floor to ceiling

Photo 10 - you can see coin indentations along all of the metal walls of the vaults. The bags were so heavy and put so much pressure on the steel walls, they left marks. The entire steel wall have rim marks from coins, floor to ceiling.

Photo 15 - this is a false floor covering the bottom floor of the courtyard. When the federal government took it over it the 70's, they closed off the bottom of the courtyard and build more office or work space on the lower floor.

Photo 18 & 32 - all of that ornate decoration and trim on the walls is actually steel. None of it is wood. All of the rooms could be locked up and the steel walls deterred anybody from getting through. The catwalk around the top was for the armed police to walk around and make sure nothing happened when business was being conducted. This is one of the main rooms off the front entrance.

If you ever get a chance to go during one of the coin shows, it's definitely worth the trip. The tour is a wonderful chance to hear about the history of the mint, how it survived the earthquake, and how it has been used over the year.

Mike Wagner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 days ago #1165 by LITAS
Replied by LITAS on topic Re:San Francisco Mint photos
Very interesting posting. Too bad all the presses are gone. If it will be a museum of minting these rooms will need some old manufacturing equipment. The Carson City Mint is lucky to have press #1 on exibit.

John Armonas

More
14 years 2 days ago #1166 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:San Francisco Mint photos
Jennifer Love Hewitt should film an episode of Ghost Whisperers in there... ::laugh:

More
14 years 2 days ago - 14 years 2 days ago #1167 by randysc
I went to the S.F. Mint last year, not to attend a coin show, just tripping out in Frisco, and had to take in the mint. I saw the vaults in the downstairs basement area and it is just like you said. You can see several, and I mean several indentations of coins as a result of the pressure pushing against the walls from the weight of the hundreds, if not thousands of bags of coins stored in those vaults. They were stored wall to wall, floor to celing. It was turly a sight to behold. If anyone goes to San Francisco, I highly recomend taking in the "Granite Lady"
Last edit: 14 years 2 days ago by randysc.

Time to create page: 0.418 seconds