John,
Do you have a picture of that coin?

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2016 by LITAS
Replied by LITAS on topic Re:The Comstock Lode of Japan

Oban is a 112.4 gm gold coin, with dimensions of 6' X 3.5'.

The 1875 article did not have any images, sinse at that time photography was expensive and numismatists communicated by hand drawings and rubbings of coins.

In 1875 the price of an Oban coin was at $75, today these coins sell for $25,000 to $40,000 per coin.

John Armonas

More
13 years 2 months ago #2029 by Garryn
Thank God Oban Scotch is alot cheaper. ;)

More
13 years 2 months ago #2033 by Loosechange
John, great picture of that coin. Garryn that's a good one!
I am surprised that the ink or enameling did not come off in the venet of circulation , however I am sure that these types of coins did not circulate. I find it very fascinating.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 2 months ago #2051 by LITAS
Replied by LITAS on topic Re:The Comstock Lode of Japan

Oban --- very well done Garryn.

Three years ago I was visiting relatives in Glasgow and during that trip was able to visit a number of distilleries. From Edinburgh to Oban to islands of Islay and Jura all the way to Inverness and Loch Ness.

Island of Jura has one distillery, population of 185 and over 5,000 deer. George Orwell spent some time on Jura. He tried to live of the land but failed, however during that time he manged to write his book "1984". The year was 1948, for the title he just switched last two numbers.

Oban makes a very good whiskey, however the place itself did not leave much interesting impressions.

Just like we collect Carson City Mint coins, there are people who invest and collect bottles of Scotch whiskey. And there are hundreds of brands to choose from.

John Armonas

More
13 years 2 months ago #2052 by Garryn
Thanks for that summary, John, I prefer the Highland scotches myself. That Oban there if I remember correctly is about $69.99 at Binny's. Binny's has the largest selection of single malt scotch I have ever run across.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds