c4oa header mint

Virginia City's 150th Anniversary Celebration

More
14 years 11 months ago #77 by Carsonite
Check out this article in the May 31, 2009 edition of the Reno Evening Gazette for information on Virginia City's 150th anniversay celebration of the discovery of the Comstock Lode.

www.rgj.com/article/20090531/LIV/905310304

There's an article in the same issue by Nevada historian Ron James on Comstock lore.

Marie and I visited Virginia City last weekend and took lots of colorful pictures. God willing, we'll be back for at least one of the June 7 - 9 events.

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #78 by Garryn
That sounds interesting. I am going to be at a conference in Las Vegas between July 12 and 15, and I probably wont have much free time to do any exploring :(

More
14 years 11 months ago #134 by coindrummer
:woohoo: I wish I could of been there with you guys in VC...must have been a very exciting time.

C4OA Lifer!

More
14 years 5 months ago #664 by Decline Don
I believe Virginia City was a tourist attraction before Bonanza. I visited in the summer of 1959 and I don't think Bonanza aired until that fall.

I will always remember my visit to Virginia City. While we were walking down the wooden sidewalks a man driving an old jeep (just like Nellie Bell) drove up on the sidewalk while attempting to park. Unfortunately, he also drove over my father's foot. There was much screaming and yelling and maybe some profanity. At that point we began to draw a crowd. Apparently, the other tourists thought this was part of the show and they were about to see a "real western gunfight." We ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in the Sheriff's office. The deputy apologized for the incident explaining that the driver was a local "character" and talked my father out of filing a criminal complaint.

That was probably the beginning of my interest in all things Comstock which eventually led to Carson City coins.

Decline Don

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds