c4oa header mint

My short review of the summer 2011 Curry's Chronicle

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #2798 by coindrummer
Dear Editor and "CC" fans one and all

I have just completed a 2nd reading of the summer 2011 issue of Curry's Chronicle.

Of all C4oa members, I probably was the very last member to read my issue, ahh, but it was a nice vacation I had! That is my excuse.

While this was not the biggest ever issue in quantity, it did not lack in quality. The articles were all outstanding, each and every one.
Curry's Chronicle summer 2011 - Vol. 7, Issue #2 (23rd edition)

Like Weimer White, I too once owned a very nice example of an 1889-CC double eagle (PCGS AU-58) and traded it for other coins - thankfully, "CC" coins. Thank you for being one of the "mainstays" of the Chronicle. I hope to get wiser with age too Weimer!

Mitchell Yee continues to astound me with his expertise on the subject of "CC" GSA's. Until I read this article, I didn't fully realize the census of "CC" GSA soft packs. His article (complete with some great photo examples) maps out an entire collection of the "CC" soft packs. Thank you for providing this guide for all collectors Mitchell.

Thank you John McCloskey for a great article on the Comparison for 1871-CC Coinage. John makes an intelligent analysis comparing mintages/survivors vs. collectability popularity of the seven 1871-CC denominations. Collecting by date presents a viable alternative to the experience of coin building. John shows great photos of all of the seven "CC" 1871 denominations. Of the seven, I own only one - the 1871-CC half eagle PCGS VF-25 (old green holder) Variety Winter 1-B
1871-CC $5 PCGS VF-25 (old green holder) Variety Winter 1-B ...from the drummer collection

Tom DeFina...all I can say is "I'm starving! Your Word Search Puzzle/articles have become a mainstay of this publication and are most appreciated. This particular one on Adele's restaurant in Carson City takes the cake! (no pun intended there...well, maybe a little!) This is where we must go this coming August....one of the finest restaurants ever. I'll see you there!

Ahhh...the Letters to the Editor....it is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite sections of the Curry's Chronicle. Within this section you will read and hear "the voice of the people." Often times this is where true "CC" passion is heard and felt the most...."CC" collectors who found each other through and because of this fabulous publication and what they have to say...

This summer 2011 issue is capped off by a great article by the editor Rusty Goe, all about the New 1892-CC Triple Die Reverse $10 Gold Piece Variety Discovered - Well Sort of
The article is packed full of great photos including close-ups of the important diagnostics. Research into this "new" variety by fellow C4OAer John McCloskey virtually proves that this variety (although newly recognized) is actually quite common and that it is most closely matched to Douglas Winter's variety 2-A. Can anyone out there locate a winter Variety 1-A?

This illuminating article also provides a common sense map on where a collector might draw the line regarding varieties. Rusty discerns the difference between mistakes or sloppy minting procedures caused varieties versus intended varieties by design. The article finishes by describing how various varieties (like this triple die rev. for example) are made due to minting miscues, errors and other procedures.

I look forward to a healthy and happy future for this publication. From Issue #1 on through to this issue #23, the Chronicle has evolved into greatness. Every member who has played a part in this, big or small, deserves a hearty congratulations!

Michael Parrott LM-0023
the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by coindrummer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #2799 by Loosechange
My sentiments exactly!!! Our Curry's Chronicles no matter the size is always chock filled of information. I look forward to each and everyone!! Thanks Drummer for your review!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 10 months ago #2800 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

Thanks for your kind words!
Hope to see you in Carson City this August...a bunch of us will be there!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 10 months ago #2801 by Loosechange
I am still hoping!!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds