c4oa header mint

Some discussion on Linked-In

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #2793 by Garryn
I imagine some here are members of Linked In. It is a social website which caters to professional interaction instead of general activities that Facebook, MySpace and others offer. There is a Coin Collecting group out there. It is mostly populated by people who are hawking MS-70 bullion. Not real collectors. However one person put out a want request about Carson City Morgan Dollars. I got involved with it.

The discussion starts out with this title.

"Anyone who has either a '78, 91 or 92 CC Morgan slabbed MS63-64 DMPL or DPL and willing to sell, please let me know."

Someone suggested Legend Numismatics, which the original poster, (OP), dismissed. Then I said this.

"Southgate Coins' website has two 92-CC in prooflike and a 78-CC in DMPL. Northern Nevada Coins has 3 78-CC in DMPL and a 91-CC in DMPL. They are two of the best sources of Carson City coinage in Nevada, if not the only two."

The OP replied:

"Garry, thanks for your reply. I have checked both of these sites and found their prices to be just a bit more than what I would consider acceptable. I do appreciate your response to my inquiry."

So I said:

"Thanks for your response ____, but I don't think anyone is going to give one away. Call Rusty Goe at Southgate, maybe he will work with you."

The OP replied:

"I definately do not look for gifts or handouts in the numismatic market, Garry. However, I do expect to pay what the auction markets are realizing. As I have expressed in other replies, I am in no hurry to get the coins, but I will get the coins at the price I am willing to pay. That is a given and an absolute. I have absolutely no doubt about that. There were originally 4 specific date CC DMPL's on my list and now there are 3. Your reply was appreciated and did offer a couple of alternatives. One must realize that the market is awash with buyers and sellers from all areas of the numismatic field. To tie oneself to any particular avenue of accomplishing one's goals, is a recipe for defeat, or at least a less than satisfactory outcome."

My latest response is this:

"The DMPL market has really taken off recently. There are some who perceive that PCGS, for example, is more strictly designating PL and DMPL than they have in the past. Some also perceive that it is much more difficult to get a PL designation than DMPL.

Also, there is some effort in the market to designate coins "high end or PQ for the grade". The CAC "bean" and the + designation are recent offshoots of that. I think that in cases where prices seem to be high among the more established dealers, these will likely be the high end coins. Lower prices may identify "average to low end for the grade". But I wouldn't conclude that without looking at the coins in hand.

You are looking to buy coins that are somewhat scarce in PL and DMPL. If you can find a high end coin for the grade, you will be very fortunate, no matter what the price is.

I know for a fact, that someone like Rusty Goe, who is the acknowledged expert on Carson City coinage, would be willing and able to give you some advice on how to proceed."

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but it is an indication of what people are looking for. If you want to follow online, check out the discussion on Linked In. I will let you know if anything interesting gets posted... :)
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Garryn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds