c4oa header mint

value of a uncirculated 1884 CC Morgan Silver Dollar

More
12 years 8 months ago #3063 by barbiebabs
I have a CC Morgan Silver Dollar that is in a plastic coin case in a black book with a stamp number on a info card. Can anyone tell me the value or where I can go to see how much it's worth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3073 by mitchell
Hello:

It's hard to give a good estimate on how much a coin is worth without either having in hand or a good photo. A coin's value is highly dependent on the condition and amount of "eye-appeal" the coin has.

In general, a generic common date (1882, 1883, 1884) GSA encapsulated silver dollar like the one you have is worth a minimum of $150 these days. The value will change upward if the appearance and condition (ie coin "grade") meets certain standards. A good website to start to educate yourself can be found at:
users.hal-pc.org/~canupnet/coin-grading.html

There are a few other websites but learning to grade a coin is challenging and will involve more time than you may wish to invest.

Mitchell

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3192 by Garryn
I agree Mitchell, I think that the prices for those dates in GSA cases are pushing $200 now.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3195 by Loosechange
I agree Garryn, Most GSA's that I see even common dates are in the $200 dollar range and up. The better the eye appeal the higher the asking price too!

Welcome aboard the forum Barbiebabs!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3202 by maryelise8863
Hi Barbiebabs,

I am just learning about coins myself. I've been referring to an NGC US Coin Price Sheet Guide: www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/NGCCoinPriceGuide.asp

This certainly isn't the be all and end all reference guide. Knowing how to grade a coin, which I don't, is key. If the coin's been cleaned or has damage, that changes things.

I do know, at the end of the day, a coin is only worth what someone wants to pay for it...whether they think it's beautiful, want to fill a spot in their collection, consider it a financial investment, love the history of it, etc.

Advice from the newbie...please consider it just that. All these helpful gentlemen know far more than I!

Welcome to the discussion board!

Mary Elise

Mary Elise

More
12 years 7 months ago #3208 by coindrummer
Hi Barbiebabs

If you live anywhere close to Reno NV, take your "CC" Morgan dollar into the folks at Southgate Coins on Virginia St.
They'll give you a fair and honest appraisal.

You didn't mention the date on your coin. There can be huge value differentials depending upon the date.

I wish you good luck on your project, please keep us posted on any results.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds