c4oa header mint

E-Gobrecht Auction News For CC coins

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3229 by Loosechange
This just in from The E-Gobrecht the electronic newsletter of the Liberty Seated Collectors Club reported by Jim Gray, LSCC#664.

Heritage Auctions had an 1872-CC dime AU details but cleaned sold for $7,476.00. In the Half Dollar denomination an 1871-CC in XF40 brought $4,025 while a 1878-CC in AU50 took in $6,900.

Stack's/Bowers had a well struck nicely toned 1874-CC half in AU58 go for $9488.

As long as it is OK to have this thread, I would like to keep it updated as the E-Gobrecht newsletter is published ( the first of every month ) so that we CC fanatics can get an idea of what is happening in the major auction houses. I will relay what Jim Gray is reporting only keying in on CC coinage. I joined the Liberty Seated Collectors Club this year and it ties in perfectly with my love of Carson City coinage. John McCloskey, President of the LSCC is a huge contributor to our own Curry's Chronicles and Bill Bugert, E-Gobrecht editor and author of "A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties Volume II Carson City Branch Mint".

Hope you enjoy and any feedback would be helpful.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Loosechange. Reason: spelling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3230 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

I enjoy seeing these "real-world" prices for "CC" coins. Whenever I see these actual prices realized I compare with the printed books and magazine price lists. Most of the time the true price realized is well beyond the book values.

Thanks for providing this.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3231 by maryelise8863
Great information. Thanks Loosechange!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3233 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

In regards to your nice post here...I am presenting examples of price differences between coin books/mags and "real-world" prices realized:

"CC" seated half dollar selling prices you listed from the "real-world"
versus 2012 North American Coins & Prices book:

1871-CC half dollar XF-40 BOOK: $1,950 - REALIZED: $4,025
1878-CC half dollar AU-50 BOOK: $4,850 - REALIZED: $6,900

Perfect examples of the usual discrepancies found in coin book pricing
(particularly regarding "CC" issues) versus "real-world" prices realized.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3236 by Loosechange
Thanks for the comparisons Drummer! I find that you can throw away the price guides in regards to Casron City Mint coinage as well as many of the Liberty Seated series in general. There is some serious competition out there regarding the Carson City issues. Where I am working on a set of "CC" half dollars the prices really jump up on the key dates. Glad you like thread. When I can gather this info I will put it out there for all of us.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3239 by Garryn
What is your source for book price, Mike? greysheet?

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds