c4oa header mint

1893-CC Eagle CC Coin of the Week Sept. 25, 2011

More
12 years 7 months ago #3182 by Belayoff
Well then, just dig out your metal detector and head back to Virginia City! I'm sure ther's a '93-CC Eagle in the dust under one of those old saloon floors.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3183 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

Metal detecting in VC! Oh wouldn't that be nice...I'll bet you're right...there's probably some amazing stuff underneath those old VC saloon floors....

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3187 by Belayoff
Not to mention snakes and other nasty critters.

All jokes aside, I'll bet the local contracting companies who frequently get demolition or other construction jobs in the VC area are diligent about sifting through the soils and rubbage before tossing it! I know I would be.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3189 by Garryn
A great ending to your run of essays, Belay. Congratulations!

It is entirely possible that the PL eagle you pictured could have been a presentation coin of some kind, but the method of manufacture would rule it out as a proof. If a proof did surface, it would be the story of the century so far.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3203 by randysc
Hey Belay-
Incredible stuff on this 1893-C.C. gold eagle. Your bulldogest efforts to dig deep and bring forth all this information on this subject is a testament to your admiration for C.C. coins. Your articles, as with this one, are treasures and you should be valued as much as the C.C. coins we love so much.

On the proof-like discussions, it is my understanding that proof coins are made from highly polished dies and special planchets. With all 1893-C.C. eagles having been struck with the same reverse die of 1892, that would rule out special dies for proof coins. Proof-like coins, again to my understanding, are usually the first struck coins from brand new dies. Perhaps the existing proof-like '93' eagles are results of being the first strikes on the new obverse die and a reconditioned (as in cleaned up and polished) reverse die of 1892. Perhaps they even polished up the planchets to make them special. Who knows. There may even have been more proof-like 1893-C.C. eagles coins, but share the fate of the 97.7% of the coins that exist no longer.

Again, great stuff and thanks again for all you do.

-R.-

More
12 years 7 months ago #3205 by coindrummer
Hi Randysc

I share your feelings...Belay is one of our best COWboys for sure and your recognition of that shows your "CC" passion as well.

You bring up a very interesting and valid points about the shared reverse dies for the 1892 and 1893-CC eagles concerning proof-like issues. Good bit of research work there Randy...

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds