c4oa header mint

1873-CC With Arrows 25 Cent Coin of the Week 10/02/2011

More
12 years 7 months ago #3224 by Loosechange
You Guys are superstars in your own rights. Belay, I do have many questions and the more I read and searched for information the more intrigued I have become. Your example is a beauty and a true rarity. I agree that resubmissions have increased the population numbers, that is true in most coin series. This is probably true within the Carson City minted coinage. I wonder if the grading services could come up with a way to distinguish this fact and give us true population figures. Thanks Carsonite for all you do, especially giving us this forum to express our passions of these jewels from our favorite mint.
Drummer I want to say a thanks to you also for giving me the inspiration to write.
I am looking forward to the last few posts in this great project!!

Loosechange ( taking a bow )

Go "CC'S"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3225 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

Thank you for your gracious words. I am extremely happy knowing that any of my writing has inspired you....very flattering my friend.

You are in the group of great COW writers as well...now that we are in the final stages of this COW project you can really see the improvements in all the writer/posters.

I agree with you Mark; thank you Carsonite from the bottom of my heart for providing this fabulous forum for all of us to enjoy. It is a true gift...

All the COW writers (including you Loosechange) have given me inspiration to write.

I am going to miss this project.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3226 by Loosechange
I am sure that we will come up with something to work on. This project has been so much fun. I still can't wait to see who the mystery COW poster is going to be!:)

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3227 by Garryn
Excellent job as usual, Mark. You mentioned an interesting point from The Mint on Carson Street.

“Curiously, the mintage figure of 12,462 for the 1873-CC with Arrows quarter is identical to the first year total of the silver dollar production at the Carson City Mint..."

Then you see the survival figures.

Survival estimates in all grades 30-35
Estimated in uncirculated 2-3
Estimates in XF to AU grades 5-6
Total certified in all grades PCGS/NGC 27
(*per TMOCS 2003)

The 1870-CC dollar is on my want list, but that '73-CC quarter is another matter. It is another example of coins being saved at the beginning and end of their run. The coins in the middle become less noticeable except to the most persistent contemporary collectors. Those were few and far between. Probably all were on the east coast where CC coins did not circulate and were otherwise out of sight and out of mind. Additionally, at that time, collectors were date collectors and did not pay any mind to mint marks.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3228 by Loosechange
Thank you Garry, I like you am looking for the 1870-CC Seated dollar myself as it would be the only date I could acquire for the type set. I am patient though. I agree that back in the day the collectors collected by date and mintmark collecting came shortly after by the general collecting public. "CC" coins are very special indeed. I look forward for your last contribution to this project in the upcoming weeks.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds