c4oa header mint

1871-CC Eagle Carson City Coin of the Week 10/16/2011

More
12 years 7 months ago #3363 by maryelise8863
Belay Off, great COWarticle!

I’d like to bring up one point you mentioned:

“An interesting anomaly jumps out when researching the 1871-CC Eagle. NGC has certified nearly three times as many examples of this date than has PCGS. Of the 36, certified Almost Uncirculated examples of this date, only 4 are in PCGS holders. While this certification disparity is not all that uncommon among gold coins, your author does not have the background necessary to explain why this is the case. Perhaps, someone else will expound on this subject at a later date.”

Now I’ve been an actual CC coin collector for what? Two months? And writing about it for a year? I certainly don’t claim to have the expertise to address this, but the PCGS/NGC competition has intrigued me since light discussion of it the August 2011 C4OA Chicago Meeting.

Regarding PCGS, I’ve read:

“PCGS is part of Collectors Universe, whose primary owners/CEOs are among the nation’s largest coin dealers.”

And regarding NGC, I’ve read:

“NGC's full-time grading experts are no longer active in the commercial coin marketplace, and are prohibited from buying or selling coins to ensure impartiality.”

This makes me lean toward NGC as my preferred grading company, though PCGS is clearly the King. The reason I make this choice is vested interest. Those who have an interest in selling may slant the field in their favor – PCGS owners/CEOs are dealers. (Not everyone has the integrity of our beloved dealer!) Knowing those who grade for NGC have the expertise, but are no longer active in the marketplace (if this is an accurate statement), makes want to believe that the playing field is more level.

Example: The other day our doctor scheduled a sleep study for my husband (possible sleep apnea). He told us there are new rules in place: Those who run the study cannot sell the sleep apnea merchandise, and vice versa. Apparently this addressed an existing and problematic conflict of interest in the health care arena.

I may be completely off base here and bordering on some conspiracy theory. But, since this is an open forum in which we’re all friends and willing to share and learn – this is my speculation about the disparity between PCGS and NGC certification of 1871-CC Eagles, and in general. For what it’s worth.

By the way… BEAUTIFUL coins! And WONDERFUL research!

Maryelise8863

Mary Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3366 by Belayoff
Drummer,

Glad you enjoyed the article and the pics. I'm sure you, in particular, recognize how difficult it was to abbreviate the parts about Norweb, Bass, Eliasberg or Battle Born.

Perhaps future Curry's articles can expand on the Carson City coins in these or other famous collections?

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3369 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

Yes...I really did enjoy your COW post and pics.

It amazes me the amount of info you portray in this and all your posts..and abbreviated at that!

I do think that some of these COW project posts (definitely this post) should also appear in the Curry's Chronicle.

I wish there was a way to get some of the numismatic mag publishers to see this post as well...I think they'd be foolish for not wanting articles like these in their publications. I never see any articles on "CC" coins that cover the subject like this post here (and other COW posts as well).

If any member knows a way to get some of the numis mags honchos to see these posts...please do let them know!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3371 by maryelise8863
Great idea, Drummer! Many, many, many of you should submit articles to other coin magazines, considering your fabulous knowledge and experience. Just submit them after you've published first in Curry's Chronicle, of course!

You can contact the C4OA for permission to republish the article elsewhere, and let the publication know that they need to make this acknowledgment. (I did this for an article being republished in November 2011.)

Here's basic information for The Numismatist:

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS
The mission of Numismatist, the official publication of the American Numismatic Association, is to educate and provide a forum for the interchange of ideas. It serves as a refreshing review for the experienced collector and as an introduction to essential concepts for the less experienced. The staff and contributing editors of Numismatist welcome the opportunity to review well-written, well-conceived articles displaying original, documented research.

MANUSCRIPTS
Manuscripts should be relevant to the study of numismatics, present new information, and/or constitute a contribution to numismatic education. The author is directly responsible for all statements made in the manuscript. The American Numismatic Association purchases first North American serial rights and reserves the right to reproduce the article electronically on CD-ROM and/or the Internet. Manuscripts are accepted with the understanding that they have not been submitted to or published by other publications. Manuscripts should be typed and double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11-inch, white bond paper. Computer printouts should be letter quality. Manuscripts also can be submitted electronically via e-mail or on disk or CD-ROM. The author's name and full street address must appear on the first page, along with day and evening telephone numbers, and, if available, fax number and e-mail address. Suggested article length is 4 to 12 double-spaced, typewritten pages.

Queries and manuscripts, including illustrations (photographs, drawings, graphs, etc.), should be sent to the Editor, Numismatist, 818 North Cascade Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3279, e-mail editor@money.org. The author should retain a copy of the manuscript for reference. The Publications Department reserves the right to edit all material.

ILLUSTRATIONS
Legends or captions for illustrations should be typed on a separate sheet of paper, with a number that accurately corresponds to each illustration. Photographs, should be high-quality, color glossy prints or high resolution digital images. Photograph should not be retouched or labeled in any way. If an author lacks photographic facilities, numismatic material can be sent to Numismatist for reproduction.

AUTHOR'S BIOGRAPHY
Authors should submit a candid or formal color portrait and a brief biography (100 words or less) that includes pertinent information, such as place of birth, professional background, hobby interests and affiliations, and numismatic awards or accomplishments.

SOURCES
Authors are requested to cite sources used in the preparation of their articles in the manner described below:
Bowers, Q. David. Adventures with Rare Coins. Los Angeles: Bowers & Ruddy Galleries, 1979, pp. 29-32.
Loperfido, John C. "Airborne Particulates: The Silent Nemesis." Numismatist, 96 (April 1983), pp. 706-09.

Mary Elise

More
12 years 7 months ago #3372 by coindrummer
Hi Maryelise

Thanks for all this great info! Obviously, you've put a good deal of time and effort into this reply. Wow!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3374 by maryelise8863
Drummer, I actually copied it from the money.org members page for writing submissions. Can't take the credit for this one! ;)

Maryelise8863

Mary Elise

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds