c4oa header mint

1873-CC Without Arrows 25c CC Coin of the Week 12-4-11

More
12 years 5 months ago #3802 by Carsonite
"Monster Mash" Michael,

I hope you learn some things about the 1873-CC Without Arrows quarter that will help you appreciate this date-variety combination even more.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3803 by Loosechange
This post is an epic in its own right. Carsonite have you contemplated writing a book on the subject of the 1873 dated coins? I my self keep a scrapbook on these particular issues because the information that you have provided just can't be found anywhere else. Thank you Carsonite for a post that will be read and re-read for years to come.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago #3804 by Carsonite
Loosechange,

You are one of the COWboys who has been following this Coin of the Week project over the past 115-Plus weeks. You and your fellow COW posters worked to get this project where it is today. As we near the end of the project, it is my pleasure to add something in the last four articles that might further stimulate people's interest in the Carson City Mint and its many memorable coins.

As for your question,

Carsonite have you contemplated writing a book on the subject of the 1873 dated coins?

I am always working on new book projects, and for eight years I have impatiently been wanting to write a revision of The Mint on Carson Street (There's so much in it that I want to update).

I will not write a book on 1873 coins in general, as there are already references available on that specific topic. But I will write more books about Carson City coins and the Carson City Mint. I'm sure that many of my Curry's Chronicle articles, as well as my COTW articles, will be incorparated into any new books I publish. As long as there are at least a handful of people who will keep reading what I have to write, I will stick to the task.

Thanks for your complimentary reply to my 1873-CC Without Arrows article.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #3805 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

Your amazing article on the 1873-CC without arrows quarter deserves a second reply from me. I have learned so much about this regal date from reading your comprehensive COW post.

This marks the first that I'm aware of where all five of these "Princess" issues are pictured together all in one place at one time. Plus, you included clear and detailed photos of this rare issue's diagnostics. This is all new info for me and I'm very appreciative of this knowledge you presented here.

Your article details the accounts of these five rarities as well as portrayals of great collectors, collections, dealers and historic auctions. You also mention the first public display of the unique 1873-CC without arrows dime was in NYC presented by the American Numismatic Society in the year 1919. The 1873-CC without arrows quarter was NOT displayed in that rare U.S. coin show amazingly enough.
You also mention that there was a display of a complete 19-piece set of "CC" half eagles...yay!...one of my favorite sets!
It is info like this that provide many of the "bread crumbs" as you put it, that help to unravel some of the mysteries regarding the pedigree origins of these special rarities. Your article is completely packed with details such as these....all in a fascinating "can't put down" read.

I learned from your article that the James A. Stack specimen sits atop the world as the finest known (NGC MS-66) "Princess". I learned that there was one and only one minting of this fabled coin - a striking of 4000 done on January 18 (my birthday!)....I learned so much more that I don't have room to mention it all, so instead I will ask that any and all historians, coin collectors, "CC" fans and anyone else remotely interested read this reference quality article.

As you wrote "they broke the mold when they made 1873-CC without arrows quarters"....well my friend, you broke the mold too with this article.

I've taken the liberty of presenting a bit of history regarding one of the five known "Princess" issues myself. So begging your indulgence, here is a fuzzy image copy of an ad place by Southgate Coins in Coin World on Monday, March 8, 2004.
The ad displays the sale of the so-called "Abner Kreisberg" example - the only one of the five known that is 3rd party graded uncirculated (NGC XF-40):

...and a close-up of the ad....

Thank you again for this reference quality article!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #3806 by Carsonite
Michael,

You know how much I like to give my students flash quizzes to see if they have absorbed important information about books they've read, lectures they've heard, and other things they've been taught.

You covered many of the key points in my article in your review of it. I'm glad to see you retained as much of the information as you did.

One astute observation you made is as follows:

This marks the first that I'm aware of where all five of these "Princess" issues are pictured together all in one place at one time.

This is something in my article that might be easy for most readers to take for granted. You are correct. It is the first time that images of all five extant 1873-CC Without Arrows quarters have been seen together. I would have paid good money to have these five images at the same time when I first started to seriously study "CC" coins.

It is also the first time the Boyd specimen's characteristics have been visually compared to those on the Budd-Norweb-Battle-Born specimen to conclusively prove they are one in the same coin.

I appreciate you taking the time to summarize key points in my article from a "CC" coin enthusiast's passionate perspective.

Thanks loads.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Line spacing

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #3807 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

Thank you for your gracious words! There are many astounding new things I learned from your article on this royal issue.I could've written so much more in my reply.

It is quite obvious that you put in a huge amount of time working up this special post. The article quality level is unequaled.... it sits alone as the finest known!

I hope you don't mind me including your 2004 CW ad of the NGC XF-40 "Kreisberg" specimen. Your ad and resulting sale played an integral role in the history of this member of the Royal five.

Thank you for providing this amazing article for us privileged few.
Count me as one who truly appreciates it.

The "Monster Mash" indeed!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by coindrummer.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds