c4oa header mint

New Category For CC- and Comstock-Themed Movie Lovers

More
13 years 1 month ago #2294 by Carsonite
Special Announcement:

We have added a new category on this discussion board forum called Movies & Other Forms of Entertainment with Carson City Themes. It is under the Carson Mint History section.

You and other C4OA discussion boarders can reminisce about your favorite movies and other forms of entertainment connected to the Carson City & Comstock themes.

And just as a reminder, please don't confuse this section with the Exonumia and Ephemera categories. Everything has its place.

Have fun!

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2295 by coindrummer
This new category on the Discussion Board is a great idea here Carsonite! Thank you!

Most of the film "The Shootist" (1976) was indeed shot in Carson City NV, the rest of the filming was done in the Burbank CA studios. The house at 500 N. Mountain Street in Carson City that doubled for J. B. Books' rooming house (owned by Bond Rogers in the movie) is three doors south from the Nevada governor's mansion. The only change to the house was a portico added on the southern side.

As most of you know, this was John Wayne's final film...he had stomach cancer and was fully aware of it at the time (as was all the cast and crew.)
It's widely reported that most everyone involved in the filming were in tears towards the emotional final days of production. :(
John Wayne left us about three years after completion of the film.

The part John played in the story line of the film was of a man dying of cancer which in fact mirrored his own real life. Many of the great western American actors of John's time were in this film...it was almost a final "harrah" for some of them.

THE CAST:

John Wayne - John Bernard "J.B." Books
Lauren Bacall - Bond Rogers
Ron Howard - Gillom Rogers
James Stewart - Dr. E.W. Hostetler
Richard Boone - Mike Sweeney
Hugh O'Brian - Jack Pulford
Harry Morgan - Carson City Marshal Walter J. Thibido
John Carradine - Hezekiah Beckum (undertaker)
Sheree North - Serepta
Scatman Crothers - Moses Brown
Bill McKinney - Jay Cobb (owner, Cobb's Creamery)
Rick Lenz - Dan Dobkins (reporter, Morning Appeal news)
Gregg Palmer - Burly Man

Thank you Deepsouthspike for providing a picture of the great movie poster!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by coindrummer.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2296 by Carsonite
Michael,

I'm glad you like the idea of the new category.

One thing I suggest is that you actually go to that category Movies & Other Forms of Entertainment with Carson City Themes(under the major heading of Carson Mint History) and post your profile of The Shootist. You will see that I already posted some information about the movie and some pictures.

Thanks,

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2298 by Loosechange
Thanks Mike ! That was a great movie and I was not aware that was actaully a mirror of what was happening with John Wayne. I really enjoyed the movie and the ties to Carson City. Thanks for suggesting this as a catagory.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2312 by deepsouthspike
I have not seen the Shootist yet, I was able to order it on DVD brand new with shipping for about 7 dollars. Will look forward to this movie based on all of the information everyone has provided! Thanks!

deepsouth.....

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds