c4oa header mint

Do any C4OA members ever go metal detecting in Nevada?

More
13 years 2 months ago #2161 by deepsouthspike
Since the C4OA began a few years ago with Curry's Chronicle, a Comstock seminar, yearly meetings during the annual coin show at the Nevada State Museum, etc., I have wondered, how exciting would it be to go metal detecting in and around the areas of the Comstock and Nevada?

Are there any such locations that can be dug in Nevada without meeting the barrel of someones shotgun? Are there any C4OA members that do any metal detecting? I would like to hear about anyones experiences or any opportunities to join another C4OA member on a future treasure hunt.

Metal detecting on the beaches in South Florida usually only yields beer caps, modern loose change and the occasional surprise such a set of someones fake teeth, (the last that I found still had a cigarette butt hanging out of them!)

I would like to believe that somewhere out there awaits a "CC" metal detecting experience that I would be able to talk about for years to come..........???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2164 by coindrummer
Hi Deepsouthspike

I've personally never been metal detecting in my life...never even held one of them thar contraptions...but I sure wouldn't mind giving it a try. Sounds exciting to me. Perhaps one of these times we could meet up in the Comstock and give 'er a whirl!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by coindrummer.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2169 by Garryn
I remember driving through Georgia. There are alot of dire warnings about metal detecting out there especially in the vicinity of any battlefields or other historic spots. I should take some photos of those signs if I ever get back there.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2171 by Belayoff
Deepsouthspike,

Believe it or not, I have done lots of metal detecting, or "Coin Shooting" in the lingo.
Earlier in my life my father and I would research likely sites and then would hit them hard. We've found hundreds of coins over the years, though only one CC minted coin, a common date Morgan silver dollar. The coin was found fairly deep under the surface in a park in Canada, of all places.

A couple years ago, I purchased a state of the art detector and went out hunting with it a few times. Unfortunately, the machines sophistication required some training which I have not yet acquired. I made one short foray into Nevada, but without much success for this reason.

I enjoy metal detecting and suggest anyone who is interested look up their local detecting clubs, in order to get a proper introduction into the methods and especially the rules and courtesies involved while hunting on private or public land.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2175 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

Thanks for the good info and advice on this metal-detecting subject. I'd love to give it a go sometime...and if I do, I want to do it the right way.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2327 by Loosechange
I have a metal detector and have learned through a good friend to research, research and more research can net some good finds. One area he brought me too was an old swimming hole and you would never have known it existed unless you researched the area. We found over 500 coins and nothing dated after 1930. A whole lot of fun. No "CC" coins were found but he did find some colonial pieces. The town I am from was incorporated in 1726 and still has some areas that you can coin shoot in.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds