c4oa header mint

Touchy Subject

More
12 years 7 months ago #3245 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Touchy Subject
Hi all

Yes of course my test results were insulting....I was prepared for that as it was all part of the "test".

It's always good to find out what and who is out there in fields like numismatics, or any field where large amounts of $$ can be made by sharks.....like any thing in the world, there's a good and bad side to everything.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3248 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Touchy Subject
Drummer,
I was going to take my GSA's ( 1880/79 rev.78 and 1882 PL ) to one of those hotel dealers that is advertising in our local paper, but even as a test like you did I know I could not contain my emotions. LOL Loosechange would become LooseNUT!!! LOL

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3249 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Touchy Subject
Hi Loosechange

How could I contain myself? I was laughing inside the whole time....it was actually kind of fun playing "spy".....kind of like an actors forum. The results were astonishing to me.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3250 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Touchy Subject
If I recall last fall ( 2010 ) in Coin World there was an article much like what you did and with the same results. ( not good ).

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3251 by maryelise8863
Replied by maryelise8863 on topic Re:Touchy Subject
Drummer, thanks for writing about your "test." This is why I'm afraid of dealers and the bourse floor.

Of course, there is one dealer in Reno, NV that I can't wait to buy a CC coin from! But, alas, that is on hold until my next NV trip, which will be to the 2012 Carson City show.

Here's a touchy question, and probably subjective based on eye appeal, low mintage/survival, etc. What margin should dealers be making? If they're buying at exactly what the coins are worth, then how do they make anything above and beyond that? Not justifying, just asking.

Mary Elise

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3255 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:Touchy Subject
Looks like you have fought that fight before on CU Garry.

I dont get into fights like that one. I never enter those types of conversations. I did get into it with someone on Linked In, of all places. There is a Coin Collecting group there. It is populated mostly by vest pocket bullion dealers. That is about as kind as I can be.

A lady came on recently and asked a legitimate question:

"Where is a good place to check the value of coins. I have bunch of old silver dollars, Kennedy etc. Have no idea if they are worth anything."

I suggested she go to her local coin shop. Silly me. This is what one idiot said:

"You can easily sell them on craigs list. Dont sell from your house. If you ever sell items like this bring a friend or 2 to wait in the car in a parking lot with video cameras such as walmart..etc... "
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Garryn.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds