c4oa header mint

Counterfeit Detection: 1870-CC Quarter article

More
12 years 7 months ago #3384 by maryelise8863
I've read this before, but think I neglected to post it. Found it pretty interesting when I was reading up on counterfeits: www.coinweek.com/news/coin-grading/count...ion-1870-cc-quarter/

Maryelise8863

Mary Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3391 by Loosechange
Thanks for the link. With the ever increasing amounts of counterfeit coins coming into the market from common date Morgan dollars to rarities including coins from Carson City this is a very helpful tool. PCGS holders that are even counterfeited now add to the dilemma.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago #3392 by maryelise8863
I've heard about the holder counterfeiting, and I think it's all the top companies' holders, right? Wouldn't it be something if the newbie turned out to have a great new CC collection -- of counterfeits, in holders?

Actually, I'm comfortable that my NGC coin is genuine. I pulled it up in the NGC database, and there was a photo to match exactly. I also registered it to myself, and no alarm bells went off.

Another reason that, even though I don't have to buy all NGC, I'd consider sending all my (massive collection of three! ;) ) coins into them so that they're archived, including a photo. I believe PCGS offers this as well, but at an additional cost? I could be mistaken.

maryelise8863

PS - Enjoyed your Curry's article, Loosechange!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 6 months ago #3395 by Loosechange
The counterfeit PCGS holders look very close to the real ones. Again buy from a respected dealer that knows what they are doing. In case of Carson City coins we know who to go to!
I am glad you enjoyed my Curry's article.
Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago #3400 by maryelise8863

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds