c4oa header mint

Halves & Halves

More
12 years 4 months ago #3825 by maryelise8863
I enjoyed my visit with Dad (Doc) Arnold. Computer's up and running! Hopefully he'll be on the C4OA discussion board sharing his vast knowledge and love of coins soon.

Dad/Doc showed me some of his CC coins! Being a "details" collector, we're certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum. But he gave me a great piece of advice, one many of you've probably heard as well: "Be a collector first." So no matter how I choose to do it, if I enjoy it, I should just keep on doing it that way!

Which brings me to the title of this thread: "Halves & Halves." I'm really starting to fancy Half Dollars and Half Eagles. So I think when I finish the A-G Details Collection...and I win the lottery...or I decide to start living out of an RV instead...I'm going to start the Halves & Halves Collection!

:silly:
maryelise

Mary Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #3826 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Halves & Halves
Half Dollars and Half eagles, two of my most favorite denominations in the coin collecting world. Both of these issues were the workhorses of American commerce. Beside drooling over the Drummers collection of half eagles ( good thing I have not seen them in person yet ) these two denominations from the Carson City Mint are series that with some patience and a wallet that has a few beans in it can be completed. I myself only wish that I had started collecting these issues earlier in life. But fear not Friends!!!! My Half dollar collection is growing.
Be a Collector First is such sage advice, if you like it collect it! We will make mistakes along the way, but with this forum and the people we have on here, we can help you as well as others avoid mistakes we have made. As Drummer and Belayoff have said "Find a dealer you trust and learn,learn,and learn some more. If anyone has ever had the pleasure to talk about the Carson City Mint and its coins with Rusty Goe, You will treasure it for a lifetime. The man is full of knowledge about our favorite mint and its coinage as well as the history of the whole area. Another thing, if you get a chance, check out the museum known as Southgate Coins in Reno........one word "phenomenal" Most of all enjoy yourself!!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 4 months ago #3827 by billigafd
Replied by billigafd on topic Re:Halves & Halves
I whole-heartedly agree with Doc, maryelise8863, and Loosechange! I know that in my youth I was a "change collector" first and as times progressed this hobby progressed to a meaningful "coin collector" status for me; and now, hopefully having reached my maturity, this passion has progressed to be a real agenda for CC coins! And, in my opinion the CC Half Dollars are "Sleeping Beauties" within the class of Carson City Coins (due to their high mintage numbers) who are just waiting to be "awaken" by knowledgeable collectors!

billigafd. . ."CCR"

CCR

More
12 years 4 months ago #3887 by Loosechange
for me it doesn't get any better than Half Dollars. Other than Morgan dollars it is the only denomination that I'll ever be able to complete.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 4 months ago #3919 by maryelise8863
Replied by maryelise8863 on topic Re:Halves & Halves
Just wanted to let you know that I got my hands on an 1872-CC Half Dollar. Couldn't resist! It's a miracle I could afford one...albeit in a Good grade.

A nice addition to the A-G Details Collection...as I'm trying to finish up the 70's.

Also a nice addition to the new A-G Halves & Halves Collection...which so far consists of only two CC half dollars. :blush: But it's a start!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 4 months ago #3922 by Loosechange
Congrats on your 72-CC half Mary-Elise, only 8 to go for a full set. I hope I can complete my set in 2012. The 78-CC and 74-CC are the tough ones that I have left to pick up. I am trying to keep the set matched in color of the coins as well as grading service, even if I have to crossover grade a coin. It sure is fun

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds