c4oa header mint

Comstock Ephemera from the drummer collection

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1960 by coindrummer
Greetings to all C4OAers and Carson City/Nevada/Comstock fans

I recently replied to a Coin Of the Week post by Deepsouthspike wherein he showed some of his Comstock/NV Ephemera items. He inspired me to add a few of mine and all though my collection is not large, each piece is an historical treasure to me.

My first item exhibited closely resembles a similar check he showed in his article (See his post dated Feb. 13, 2011 in the "Coin of the Week - A 111 Week Project - 1872-CC Gold Eagle" on this Blog-site)

I thought I might share my treasures with you...hope you like them:

(Above) A deposit slip dated Sept. 9, 1876 from Wood Corder Co. of Carson City NV issued from The Carson City Savings Bank. Note the 1870 eagle logo in the upper right hand corner.
(Above) Close-up of 1870 eagle logo - Carson City Savings Bank

(Above) Check issued to The American Exchange National Bank of Chicago, Ill. from The Bullion and Exchange Bank of Carson City, NV for $1,500...a sizeable sum then. Dated June 1897

(Above) Unassigned and undated mining stock certificate from Virginia City, NV and the famous Ophir Mine

(Above) A copy of a student report card for the Fourth Ward School (Virginia City, NV) dated 1879. This card was issued to Lizzie M. Beck who was obviously a good student (note the remarks written by her teacher in the lower right corner of card)
According to what I found, Lizzie went on to careers in nursing and teaching. I'm unsure as to marriage/children info and would love to eventually find that out.
If only Lizzie couldv'e seen into the future, she might've carefully put away a few "CC" coins from her school days....they'd be worth a fortune now $$$!
(Above) Remarks from Fourth Ward School teacher of student Lizzie M.Beck

(Above) Another Fourth Ward School student report card issued to Albert Wales Perkins dated 1909: From what info I was able to locate on this person, Albert, like so many other boys his age, was forced to go to work in order to support his family. Albert's grades began slipping as many school days were skipped (as you can see.) Albert went on to join the US Army at the onset of WWI....he was killed in action on the battlefields in France.

I hope you enjoy my little display of history from the Comstock

Michael the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by coindrummer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1961 by Loosechange
Wow Drummer it doesn't get any better than that ! Nice collection I must say. When my wife and I were in Virginia City we took a tour of the Fourth Ward School and you could almost hear the children running up and down the stairs. I myself look for items related to Carson City, Virginia City, Gold Hill and anything Comstock. I also search for stereo-optic views of the areas too. I have yet to find one and I am sure it will be tough to locate in the northeast but that is what makes it so much fun. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1963 by coindrummer
Thank you Loosechange

These historic treasures (that's what they are!) are not worth the same $$$ value as our beloved "CC" coins of course, but they are equally enjoyable to own.
I don't usually show Exonumia items but as I stated, Deepsouthspike inspired me to show a few of my Comstock collectibles.
I'm happy that you enjoyed the view!

Michael the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by coindrummer.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1964 by coindrummer
Oops folks...my sincere apologies but I have put my Ephemera in the wrong (Exonumia) section. A bone-head error.
Perhaps if I nicely beg forgiveness for my error the moderator can switch this (or help me to switch this) into its rightful category.
So...OK...I'm begging...HELP!!!
Once again, my apologies for this mix-up.

Michael the drummer :ohmy:

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1965 by Garryn
That's really a nice collection, Mike. The Bullion and Exchange check is really large. I have two of them and they dont fit into the standard plastic currency inserts for binders, where I have all my other paper. But mine still have the check stub attached. Where did you find the report cards?
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Garryn.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1966 by randysc
Nice stuff there Drummer! As you may know, I'm a bit of an ephemera collector myself so its a pleasure to view other's. Interesting bio information on Lizzie and Albert, how did you find such info? Too bad for young Albert, but I think if Lizzie had socked a few C.C. coins away, it would probably have benefited us more so than her.
-R-

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds