c4oa header mint

CC Mint Receipts (from my archive)

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3193 by mitchell
Here are a few scans of Carson City Mint receipts for bullion.

Number 1: Receipt for 2029 ounces of bar bullion, deposited on July 22, 1889, Signed by Allen L Bragg
Number 2: Receipt for 1211 ounces of bar bullion, deposited on May 5, 1891, signed by L. L. Elrod
Number 3: Receipt for 249 ounces of bar bullion, deposited on June 4, 1891, signed by H. C Manning(?)
Hope the images are legible (for Windows computers, you can always single click on the scan and click on view image to make it bigger).
Mitchell

C4OA Lifer!
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by mitchell.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3196 by Loosechange
Mitchell,
You certainly have some great stuff there!! I wonder how many bars were made into coins?

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3197 by Garryn
That is awesome, Mitchell. Is that one bar being deposited? More than one? I assume the transaction is bullion for coin? I wonder if the bars were stamped by assayers already? If so, it is a shame that the assayers were not identified on the receipts.

The Ford XIX Sale had a number of Western silver bars assayer stamped from the Nevada, Arizona, Idaho and other territories.

In the preface to the Ford XIX Sale catalog, Mike Hodder described how all Western silver assay bars have been accused over the years of being counterfeit, and all made after 1950. Ford amassed more of these bars in his collecting lifetime than anyone. There are a few bars in the Sale, not many, that have provenances prior to 1950 and Mike said he has done quite a bit of research to show that the balance do indeed precede 1950.

Mike said that one interesting thing about theory is that it includes all Western silver assay bars en masse. The second interesting thing about the theory is that it dates the counterfeits at 1950. The easy part of Mike's argument is that if he can prove provenance prior to 1950 on any of the bars, then the theory falls apart. And some of the bars in the catalog clearly predate 1950.

[A housekeeping note: I copied the images to my desktop and was able to see them clearly]
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Garryn.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3199 by Carsonite
Mitchell,

If you will edit your posting and resize the images, they will be displayed much larger.

You can do this by following this step:

Change img size=150 to img size=1000

If you want to you can also center the images by following this step:

Place center (use brackets not parentheses) at the beginning of each image string. For example,
img size=1000.

Then make sure to close the image string with
(make sure to include the forward slash)

For example, .... Receipt002reduced-1.jpg[/img][/center]

These are interesting receipts; we want to make sure everyone can see them. The alternative, of course, is to follow GarryN's tip and copy the images to a PC's desktop.

Thanks for sharing these.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3209 by coindrummer
Hi Mitchell

Where on earth did you find these incredible and historic treasures?

I would love to see you repost them in a larger format for better reading....these are certainly very special. I personally would love to see them live and in person at one of our future C4OA events.

Good find!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3211 by randysc
Hey Mitchell-
Nice paper you have there. I have one that is dated from the 1930s but the mint was an assay office then. The ones you have in the dates that you have are diffucult to find. There was one on Ebay about a year and a half ago dated, I think it was around 1876, at least in the 1870s, that I was pursuring but some one beat me out of it in the last few seconds. I hate when that happens.

Drummer- If you'er ever at a coin show where a dealer is selling old paper, as in checks, documents, old stock certificates things of that nature, it would be a good place to look for this type of material.
-R.-

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds