c4oa header mint

The Shootist - John Wayne's Final Movie

More
13 years 1 month ago #2297 by coindrummer
Greetings C4OAers, "CC" fans and movie buffs

Most of the film "The Shootist" (1976) was indeed shot in Carson City NV, the rest of the filming was done in the Burbank CA studios. The house at 500 N. Mountain Street in Carson City that doubled for J. B. Books' rooming house (owned by Bond Rogers in the movie) is three doors south from the Nevada governor's mansion. The only change to the house was a portico added on the southern side.

As most of you know, this was John Wayne's final film...he had stomach cancer and was fully aware of it at the time (as was all the cast and crew.)
It's widely reported that most everyone involved in the filming were in tears towards the emotional final days of production. :(
John Wayne left us about three years after completion of the film.

The part John played in the story line of the film was of a man dying of cancer which in fact mirrored his own real life. Many of the great western American actors of John's time were in this film...it was almost a final "harrah" for some of them.

THE CAST:

John Wayne - John Bernard "J.B." Books
Lauren Bacall - Bond Rogers
Ron Howard - Gillom Rogers
James Stewart - Dr. E.W. Hostetler
Richard Boone - Mike Sweeney
Hugh O'Brian - Jack Pulford
Harry Morgan - Carson City Marshal Walter J. Thibido
John Carradine - Hezekiah Beckum (undertaker)
Sheree North - Serepta
Scatman Crothers - Moses Brown
Bill McKinney - Jay Cobb (owner, Cobb's Creamery)
Rick Lenz - Dan Dobkins (reporter, Morning Appeal news)
Gregg Palmer - Burly Man

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2301 by Loosechange
Thanks again Drummer for sahring this info! I could not for the life of me remeber the name of the movie. I do remember that it was a snowy day this past winter when my wife and I watched it one morning when it was to much snow to go out.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2303 by coindrummer
Your welcome Loosechange

Great cast in "The Shootist" wasn't it!

"Not" the shootist but the drummer :silly:

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2304 by Loosechange
I would like to watch it again myself. What a cast! I believe last time my wife and I were in Carson City we drove down that road also, but that was before I saw the movie and I would never have known.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds