c4oa header mint

ANA 2012 Awards Nominations

More
12 years 6 months ago #3703 by maryelise8863
Just received this email...

Each year, the American Numismatic Association bestows a host of service awards, including the coveted awards for the Numismatist of the Year and the Farran Zerbe Memorial Award. Awards include:

•Farran Zerbe Memorial Award — The ANA’s highest honor, this is to recognize numerous years of outstanding, dedicated service to collecting.

•Medal of Merit — Awarded to individuals who have dedicated several years of service to the hobby and to the ANA.

•Glenn Smedley Memorial Award — To honor those whose volunteer service to the ANA has been invaluable.

•Lifetime achievement award — To honor an individual, family, firm or judicial entity for contributions to the field of numismatics.

•Numismatic Art Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture — To honor artists of medallic sculpture.

•Adna G. Wilde Award of Excellence — Awarded to an ANA member who has helped further the organization’s educational mission.

•Harry J. Forman Dealer of the Year Award — To honor professional numismatists for their dedication to the organization and to the hobby.

•Exemplary Service Award — Given to individuals, clubs, corporations or other entities that have performed great services for the ANA.

•Adult Advisor of the Year — Given to an individual who shows outstanding mentoring abilities toward Young Numismatics.

•Young Numismatist of the Year. This award is given to a numismatist under the age of 23 who excels in producing exhibits, presentations and articles, who is active in volunteer service and numismatic research. Personal achievements are also part of the criteria. Nominees will be asked to submit an application for review.

Nominations are due, in writing, by Nov. 30.

Do you have a certain club, dealer, or individual in mind? ;)

If so, the nomination form can be downloaded here: www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Mem.../Nomination_Form.pdf

For questions about the service awards, please contact Ann Rahn, ANA executive assistant, at rahn@money.org or call (719)482-9838.

Mary Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3704 by coindrummer
Hi Maryelise

Thank you for this. I wrote in my nominee and submitted them to the ANA today via e-mail format.

I submitted my mentor and the finest numismatist I personally know of....Rusty Goe.

I nominated Rusty for 3 separate awards ...all nominations can be sent in by e-mail; fax or regular mail, separately including the biography sheets of myself, the nominator. As mentioned, I scanned and e-mailed my 3 separate nomination forms.

HARRY J. FORMAN DEALER OF THE YEAR AWARD

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

...and finally the prestigious ANA top award:
FARREN ZERBE MEMORIAL AWARD

I downloaded my nomination sheets (plus 2-page personal biography sheets) from the site you listed in your thread. I filled them all out...scanned them to my computer, then emailed them in to the site listed on the ANA nomination sheet. mcmillan@money.org

In the nomination sheet, the ANA kindly asks for a reason why your nominee deserves the award. I wrote the following:

RUSTY GOE - ANA NOMINATION

Rusty Goe has built great collections for discerning collectors from every financial level for over 30 years, particularly specializing but not limited to Carson City coinage. As great as those collections are, his strong point however does not limit itself to the fields of collection building, equally as strong is Rusty's practice of educating his clients, or anyone else who shows any interest whatsoever. He is a tireless promoter of Carson City coins, Comstock lore, American culture and all Numismatics, he's a virtual "walking encyclopedia" on thousands of those and other various subjects.

Rusty, the owner of Southgate Coins in Reno Nevada, single handedly founded the Carson City Coin Collectors of America (C4OA) club (in 2005) that began life with under 30 members and now is over 250 members strong with participants from all corners of the globe.

Rusty also started a C4OA web site - www.carsoncitycoinclub.com/
This site also includes a "Discussion Board" blog for the continued purposes of camaraderie and educational discourse. Fellow members have developed countless friendships and beneficial relationships as a direct result of this special site. Special on-site projects such as the "111-week - "CC" Coin of the Week" project have allowed member writers to do articles on each of the 111 coins in a complete Carson City gold and silver coin set - This site is a "must see" for everyone. The articles themselves contain more info on the subjects that can be found in books. The member-writers have had the advantage of honing their writing skills in this win-win situation all created as a gift by Rusty Goe. This is just one of his many contributions to the field of numismatists we all hold dear to our hearts.

The C4OA club that Rusty founded has its own multi award winning, 3-times -per-year publication called the Curry's Chronicle which began life as a modest club publication grown to a one-of-a-kind, action-packed dynamo brimming with material of the likes that won't be found anywhere else. Within the pages will be found tons of knowledge and information regarding coins bearing the "CC" mintmark , history of the Comstock region and all else related. The subjects cover a broad spectrum from coin technical issues, new variety discoveries to stories about how members found the coin hobby and all things in between. Contributing articles are from pro-writers and numismatists to "average Joes" - all make for great reading and Rusty continues to encourage all club members to write articles in the Curry's Chronicle. It provides many hours of fun and educational reading for all...numismatists and non-numismatists alike.

The C4OA club and Curry's publication is a non-profit venture with only a $30 per year membership fee which also covers the cost of the publication. Rusty does all the editing duties and all-in-all the venture is very time and money consuming, however, it is done for the purpose of educating any and all who are lucky enough to come upon it.

Rusty continues to sponsor club meetings, regional conferences and even "Comstock Seminars". These events are not only fun and uplifting but are educational too.
Rusty has published two bestselling books: The Mint on Carson Street (2003) and James Crawford Master of the Mint at Carson City - A Short Full Life (2007). Both of these great books have become literal reference material for all things Carson City related.

Allow me to share this small story about Rusty - One of many similar examples:

One of Rusty's clients needed a very rare and special seated dime (1873-CC with arrows) in a higher grade in order to complete their collection. Nice examples of this elusive date don't come up for sale very often. Finally, one highly advertised specimen did so Rusty made a quick call and received the coin for a trial inspection. he determined that the coin did not meet the eye-appeal requirements for his clients collection and passed on it. Finally then, about a year later, another coin of the same date and similar grade appeared on the market and after inspection proved to be one of the finest ever seen for its grade. Rusty secured the coin at a bargain price and completed his clients collection of "CC" seated dimes.

Point of this story - most dealers would've simply sold their client the first coin and made a "sure-thing" commission immediately. Rusty truly had his client's best interest in mind by turning down the quick profit and waiting patiently for the right coin. True stories like this speak volumes about a person and in times like these, a collector/investor can take this kind of service to the bank!

Knowledge - Passion - Honesty - Integrity - The great things the ANA stands for..... my nominee Rusty Goe has all these qualities in spades!

For hundreds if not thousands, Rusty is a mentor and a coach if you will, not merely a great coin dealer with a store that is super-stocked beyond museum levels, but so much more. There are many more things I could write about but let me say in closing:
Rusty Goe not only builds great collections, he builds great collectors!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Rusty...there's no one I know who deserves these awards more than him.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3705 by maryelise8863
Drummer, this is wonderful!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 6 months ago #3706 by coindrummer
Thank you Maryelise

Now if every member of our C4OA sent in a nomination we could help Rusty get one of these prestigious awards he deserves...wouldn't that be great!

Thank you so much again for posting this info and the link to the ANA nomination downloads. :)

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 6 months ago #3707 by Garryn
Nice presentation, Mike!

More
12 years 6 months ago #3708 by coindrummer
Thank you Garryn

I'm hoping that my nomination(s) will help to get Rusty one of these awards.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds