c4oa header mint

COIN CHEMISTRY, by Weimar W. White

More
14 years 7 months ago #473 by Brix
This book has been on sale at Southgate forEVVVer, but it may have flown under someone's redar. Though chiefly concerned with toning and coin care, the author makes numerous references to the CC mint and its coins. As a toning maven and total novice, I used to pester Rusty with questions about the toning process and about the miraculous state of preservation of some CC coins. Sensing his impatience with them, I pretty much shut up, but this book answers every question I stifled. It's a staple of my numismatic library.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #478 by coindrummer
Hi Brix

I also have a copy of "Coin Chemistry". I got it at last year's ANA show in Baltimore. My copy is signed by Weimer W. White himself. Weimar was one of the featured speakers at our annual C4OA meeting (July 31, 2008) held at the Baltimore convention center.

I agree with you, it's a fantastic book! There's really no other book that I know of which explains coin toning like this one does. Weimer is also a very good speaker.

I hope to see you at one of our future C4OA get-togethers. They're always a blast!

Michael the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
14 years 5 months ago #657 by Decline Don
I picked up my copy at Southgate Coins. I am Mr. White's number one fan. I will bring my copy to Boston in hopes that he will be able to make the C4OA Annual Meeting.

I seem to be in the minority, but I dislike toned coins. To me a toned coin is an alteration in the way the coin left the mint. I especially dislike toning caused by bad holders. I don't know why a collector should be "rewarded" for improperly storing his or her coins.

I am inconsistent,however,in that I have no objection to a properly cleaned coin--but that's another issue.

I would like to hear from the members what they think of toned coins.

Decline Don

More
14 years 5 months ago #660 by blu62vette
I picked up the book a few weeks back very interesting.

As to toning, there are some toned coins I love and some I cant stand. Same goes with white coins. I collect DMPL's so I do prefer white but there is nothing worse than over dipped coin or a known rarity that has been pedigreed to have color at one point and now is dipped out.

More
14 years 5 months ago #661 by coindrummer
Hi to all "CC" fans

I got my copy of Weimer W. White's great book "Coin Chemistry" at the 2008 C4OA annual club meeting in Baltimore. Weimer was kind enough to autograph my copy.

I love both toned and blast white coins. Both have definite appealing features. The toned coins have to have great toning for me to appreciate them though. I find that similar to old art masterpieces with crackled surfaces, or perhaps even old beautiful stately mansions with a vintage look, beautifully toned coins have that special appeal to me. At the same time, I equally appreciate a blast white coin that has been superbly preserved. There seems to be two camps regarding collectors who prefer toned vs. un-toned coin. I can say with all honesty that I fit in both camps. Do I suffer from indecision? Well....yes and no!

Read Rusty Goe's article "TRACKING 1876-CC TWENTY-CENT PIECES..." in the winter 2009 Curry's Chronicle. He describes his feelings about the "wagon maker's" AU-58 1876-CC twenty cent piece the same way I would describe my feelings concerning certain, beautifully toned coins.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
14 years 5 months ago #662 by Brix
Responding to Decline Don: I prefer toned coins, but I have to like the way it looks--and strike & luster are not to be sacrificed. Also, I can see your affinity for Weimar White's excellent work in your mirroring one of his stated opinions: that a collector shouldn't gain from poor coin storage thatresults in attractive toning. Shouldn't the coin be the focus, not the collector? And what if I end up buying the coin subsequently? Rejoice for me. Technically, Benjamin Franklin should have been dead from reckless kite-flying, but I'm sure we're all glad that he wasn't. FYI: I am as meticulous in my coin care as any tone-a-phobe. Regardz, Brix

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds