c4oa header mint

First post, why I love CC coins, picture1875-CC 20 Cent

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3145 by OriginalCC
Hello Everyone,

My first post here. I've been a coin collector since I was 5 years old. I bought my first CC coin when I was around 12. 1876-CC Quarter F, with a little damage, around $10. 1984.

Like many of you, I have always loved Carson City Coins.

Here's my reasons:

- that distinct little CC on every coin
- the old west, I grew up in FL, now I live in Northern CA, and have visited the CC mint twice now. That old west vibe grows on you after a while. You appreciate how important and unique that period is to American history
- most CC coins (non-Morgans) were just that, coins. True workhorses.
- rarity, so many are just downright rare, many 'common' issues with just a few hundred known
- value, how many different CC coins with just a few hundred known can you buy from $250 to $750? A lot! Ok, maybe a few.
- so many collecting options that are quite do-able
-that combination of rarity and value makes the "hunt" quite enjoyable for many different folks
- The GSA sale, one of the most important events in numismatic history

Attached is a picture of an 1875-CC 20 Cents PCGS AU50 that I bought raw about 5 years ago from a local dealer. It came from a local family, didn't know its value. Believe it or not I passed on the coin at $300. Around 5 o'clock on the obverse, I thought there were initials scratched into the coin. Its not that obvious, and it may not even be initials, just circulation marks. After a few days, I realized what a knucklehead I was and went back to the store. Luckily it was still there. I sent it to PCGS a few years ago. I was surprised by the AU 50 grade, I thought more like 45. But 20 cent pieces are a little tricky to grade. There is a lot of luster pop underneath the dark patina. The coin just screams original!

I will post a few other CC coins here and there to share with everyone. i hope you enjoy.

Crusty CC coins are great!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Image resizing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3147 by maryelise8863
Congrats on your first post, OriginalCC!

My dad's the collector, not me. I'm the writer. I started writing about CC collecting to connect with my dad.

However, he did send me on a mission to buy a British coin for him...which I successfully passed after the last ANA Chicago Show! He wanted me to see what it was like. I've been obsessively learning about CC coins since, so we'll see how things progress...

Keep the posts coming!
Mary Elise

Mary Elise

More
12 years 7 months ago #3148 by Garryn
Welcome to the discussion board, Original CC

More
12 years 7 months ago #3150 by Loosechange
Welcome Aboard this great forum Original CC. We look forward to your future posts, pictures and stories of our favorite mint.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 7 months ago #3154 by OriginalCC
Thanks all for the kind words.

Crusty CC coins are great!

More
12 years 7 months ago #3168 by coindrummer
Hi Original CC

A delayed greeting from the drummer (who's computer is on the fringe again!)

It is so nice to read your words and how they echo my very own sentiments.

Way back in the dark days before the C4OA, I thought I was virtually alone in my nostalgic feelings for "CC" coins, the old west, the Comstock and all...so, a big warm welcome! You are at home here!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds