1878 cc Trade Dollar

• denjer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 5 months ago #646 by denjer
Replied by denjer on topic Re:1878 cc Trade Dollar
Sorry I hit the button to soon.

Also when you flip the coin it is perfect. the top on one side is align perfect with the top on the other side.

Personal Opinion.
Do you think this coin is a fake or for real?
If fake does this happen alot?
I have tried to take pics of it but when i do the pictures come out all blurry. I am going to try something different because i want someone that knows coins to see this coin. I am not a coin person but it just dont look fake to me. I did have my father in law take the coin to a coin collector (not a dealer) and told my father in law not to mention the fake part. The collector looked at it and wanted it. He offered four more different coins to him to trade for it. Of Coarse we didnt trade, I would really just like to know what we have.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #648 by Belayoff
Replied by Belayoff on topic Re:1878 cc Trade Dollar
Jerry,

The coin as you describe it sounds like a "medal turn" strike, rather than a rotated die error coin, meaning the coin was minted this way intentionally.

I have three suggestions for you;

1. For fun...try the ping test. Balance the coin on the end of one or two of your fingers. With your other hand, take a quarter or half dollar from your pocket change and lightly hit the suspect coin on it's top edge. A real coin will give you a clear, ringing "ping" while a fake coin will usually sound flat.

This, of course, is a totally unscientific test so here are the other suggestions;

2. Take the coin to a reputable, professional coin dealer for an opinion. Not your uncle or someone else's friend who has a quarter collection or something.... I'm talking about a real coin dealer.

If that does not produce a satisfactory result for you then I recommend that you;

3. Send the coin sent to PCGS. (Professional Coin Grading Service).
This is the gold standard for coin authentication and grading. They will absolutely know what the coin is or is not. Their services are not free, of course. Additionally, you will probably need to send the coin to them through a dealer or a serious coin collector who has a PCGS membership. Start by logging on to their web site at
PCGS.com

If none of this works for you let us know and we'll try to help in some other way.

I have two final questions for you.

First, when looking at the coin's reverse side, near the bottom of the coin and just above the D in DOLLAR and under the S in GRAINS, do you see a mint mark? If so, what small letters do you see impressed into that space?

Second, in what city are you located or in reasonable driving distance from?

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Belayoff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds