c4oa header mint

1870-cc Quarter

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #853 by Garryn
1870-cc Quarter was created by Garryn
This is a story which defies belief. Someone posted these pictures on the Collector's Universe forum and claims that another person dug this up while metal detecting. If it is true, he must be the luckiest guy on earth. Apparently it was posted on Ebay at $6,000 then sold privately. Another poster said another '70-cc quarter was found metal detecing a couple of years ago. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!!

Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Garryn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #867 by Belayoff
Replied by Belayoff on topic Re:1870-cc Quarter
All I can tell you for certain is that if this coin was found metal detecting then it was subsequently double or triple dipped because there is not the slightest amount of dirt in the pits, divits, or scratches.

I've done aquite a bit of "coin shooting" inmy time and know for certain that a silver coin that's been in the ground for a long time comes out untarnished, but usually with dirt ground in to the crevices.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
14 years 3 months ago #870 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:1870-cc Quarter
The claim put forth is that the finder gently cleaned the coin and removed dirt and such. It still looks in remarkable condition. The general location was never disclosed. I still find the whole story hard to believe.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds