c4oa header mint

How to turn $500 into $99: 1890-CC circulated GSA

More
13 years 9 months ago #1341 by mitchell
Take a look at this auction on ebay:

cgi.ebay.com/Pedigree-1890-cc-Morgan-Dol...&hash=item3caf79e1d5

Obviously, it's a NGC graded 1890-CC with a GSA pedigreed from the soft pack mylar envelope used to house circulated dollars. The buyer has put a buy-it-now of $99.

However, if this coin were still in it's original GSA soft package, it would be worth at a minimum of $500 (given it's fairly low grade) even in today's moribund market. Circulated CCs in soft packs are a rarity (and subspecialty) and are more highly valued by collectors today then their brethren in non-GSA packaging. Originality commands a premium and unfortunately this coin has lost that cachet when it was broken out of it's GSA packaging.

The lesson: keep those GSA CC Morgans in their ORIGINAL holders.

Disclaimer: this auction isn't mine nor do I have any affiliation with them. I'm merely the messenger.

Mitchell

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #1342 by Garryn
Does "Carson City Hoard" mean it was part of the GSA sale? Or does it mean something else?

I have never seen it described that way. Also, were any coins in the GSA sale circulated to that extent?

More
13 years 9 months ago #1343 by mycc
Garryn wrote:

Does "Carson City Hoard" mean it was part of the GSA sale? Or does it mean something else?

I have never seen it described that way. Also, were any coins in the GSA sale circulated to that extent?

Garry,
Not part of the GSA events that I'm aware of. Not a GSA coin. The Carson City Hoard was a private collection.

bob

More
13 years 9 months ago #1344 by mitchell
Bob:

Thanks for that. I guess I mixed up the two hoards!

Mitchell

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 9 months ago #1346 by Garryn
Thats fine, it's not a hoardible mistake Mitchell... It's not the end of the roll. OK I will stop... :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds