c4oa header mint

What comes to mind when you look at this photo?

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2053 by mitchell
Every time I've viewed this collection in person or when I see this picture or one like this, the words "plasma cutting torch" come to mind.....

I think it's a shame that this fine collection is essentially in prison and kept far away from any kind of serious examination.

Has the museum prepared a catalog with details and high quality pictures? I'd love to buy a copy...

Sigh.

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by mitchell.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2054 by coindrummer
Hi Mitchell

Well said!! I couldn't have said it better....my feelings exactly.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2055 by Loosechange
That is a great idea Mitchell! I bet they would sell a bunch of books/catalog regarding the Biltz collection.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #2059 by Carsonite
Mitchell, Michael & Mark,

I told the director of the Nevada State Museum eight years ago that I would write a coffee-table-sized book about the Biltz "CC" coin collection. I would include descriptions, histories, mintages, survival estimates, value estimates, and images of each of the 109 coins in the collection. The book would also include biographical information about Norman H. Biltz.

I also offered to pay for the submission of the Biltz collection coins to PCGS or NGC, and have Nevada State Museum Collection printed on each coin's grading certificate.

There's more.

I offered to give a sizable cash donation to the museum to have special displays constructed to house the slabbed coins from the Biltz collection, and I offered to help create computer terminals that museum visitors could use to view blown-up images of the coins on monitors, that would also include pertinent information about each coin—Sort of like interactive tutorials to help visitors understand the significance of the coins in the collection.

On top of all of the abovementioned efforts, I told the museum director I would get the grading service that certified the museum's coins to launch a major advertizing campaign in numismatic periodicals to promote the museum's collection, which I assured the director would increase visitor traffic to the museum substantially.

I thought all of this would be an offer the museum could not refuse. Boy was I wrong. After over eight years of trying to get the museum to accept my offer, its director has stubbornly rejected it.

My goal has always been to promote the Nevada State Museum and the legacy of the Carson City Mint. I thought my offer would be a no-brainer for the museum to accept, but for unknown reasons, the men in charge don't share my vision.

So there you have it—the rest of the story.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Typo

More
13 years 2 months ago #2060 by Loosechange
To all Carson City Coin Collectors of America out there, if you feel like we do then I suggest we send letters to the Nevada State Museum and let the know that we would like to see this project come to fruition. Like Rusty said that it would benefit the museum also with sales of a catalog or book. I would have thought they would have jumped at the offer Rusty made.

Loosechange
PS, I am drafting my letter to the museum today.

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 2 months ago #2062 by coindrummer
Hi Carsonite

My question would have to be..."Why did the NV State Museum NOT jump on this incredible offer?" This is a most fantastic way of showing off this most prestigious collection...instead, the museum elects to "keep it in prison" as Mitchell so accurately put it.

Carsonite, would a letter from me help in any way? I don't want to do anything at this point that might be damaging to the cause later. I will only act on your advice regarding this touchy situation.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds