c4oa header mint

Brief Review of the Curry's Chronicle Spring 2011 Issue

More
13 years 2 months ago #2200 by coindrummer
Dear Editor

Here's my brief review of the Curry's Chronicle Spring 2011 issue.
In the Editor's "Opening Salutations", our C4OA club and its publication is aptly referred to as "CC Coin Central"...a very fitting reference indeed as that is exactly what our club is!

I find that the new streamlined version of the Chronicle offers the reader a much upgraded reading experience than the versions of old. The new paper pages have a silkier feel to them and truly are easier on the eyes when reading. As our editor pointed out "I still believe our journal consistently offers more information about Carson City coins and related themes that can be found anywhere." On this, I whole-heartedly agree...I learn many new things with each and every issue.

I welcome all the "newbies" with their great articles. Congratulations! I will be looking for more future articles from you.
That same congrats goes out to all the contibuting writers to this journal for their great articles...this is why our publication wins the prestigious awards that it does! (refer to the Fall-Winter edition "letters to the editor" section where I list all the awards the Chronicle won in the past year.)

I must especally make note of an article written by Mary Elise Arnold-Giambrone. Mary is the daughter of my friend and fellow C4OAer Tony Arnold. Mary...you are a breath of fresh air! I admit, I am a tiny bit jealous....how I would dearly love if my son David, or my sweet wife Jo Ann would write an article like yours! Both of these dear ones are not coin collectors at all, but to simply have them recognize the "specialness" of this "CC" passion like you did for your father, would be far greater than any surprise party could ever be! Tony....you have to be proud...you just have to be! I know that you are.

As far as the Battleborn 1872-CC Seven-Coin Set....Oh my! ....What I wouldn't give.

Rusty, Marie, Maya, Southgate Staff and all contributing writers, thank you for such a wonderful publication.

Michael the drummer #LM-6-0023

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2236 by Loosechange
As always another superb Curry's Chronicles. Worth the wait and thanks go out to Rusty and Marie and the staff at Southgate coins again for the great job they do with our journal.
Go "CC's"

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 2 months ago #2240 by Garryn
I liked it very much also. Great job as always. I can understand the limitations that the binding method puts on the content, but that just means we will have articles going forward for quite a while.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2241 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

I certainly agree with you about our Chronicle.

I especially love the new look and feel of our journal...the paper has a "pearlescence" giving it a luxurious, easy on the old eyeballs texture.

Sometime, just for fun, get out your oldest issue and do a quick compare.....The older versions were great! But the new issues are way better....an even more professional look.

$30.00 a year...are you kidding? What a deal!

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2250 by Belayoff
The Drummer is right. the newbies' articles in the new Curry's edition bring great energy and joy to our club's journal. They openly express their pure wonder about this coin or that happenstance, which expression brings back memories of my own first articles.

David Reimer's CC Trade Dollar article guided us through the subject with very clear, and well written narrative.

Bruce Spence impressed me with his eye for detail and his detective-like unraveling of reed count facts, beginning with his beat up old '76-CC quarter and expanding from there.

I really enjoyed the energy of Ms. Gambrone's article. Especially fun to see was her amazement at that '73-CC no arrows dime and the huge price some nut ball paid for it! Can you imagine? I wonder if she's been advised of how close to home she really was with that?

My favorite, non technical article was John Kroon's "Lighting the Carson City Coin Collecting Fire". His progressive story of a purposeful, yet patient, exposure of the hobby to his grandchildren truly resonated with me. I too have a grandchild, a six year old girl to whom my, "Rian's Bequeath" coin collection will eventually go. Thank you John for validating my own feelings about passing the joy, as well as the coins, to our kids.

I've always wondered about GSA Morgans in unopened packages and Mitchell Yee's detailed treatise on the subject put all my questions to rest for good.

The Drummer perfectly described the fun a bunch of us "COW" boys are having researching and writing about all 111 coins in the Carson City series. He emphasizes the important point that none of us are professional writers or numismatists, we're just people who enjoy Carson City coins and their fascinating, wild west history.

I haven't yet read the other articles but am looking forward to doing so this evening.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2259 by coindrummer
Hi Belay

Nice review article here of our Spring 2011 Curry's Chronicle.

The "newbies" really do spark a very important reminder in me (and apparently you too!) of why we got bitten by the "CC" bug in the first place.

I love all the great articles in each and every issue of our journal, but I have to admit, the "newbies" articles are often my most inspirational and dare I say favorite articles of all.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds