c4oa header mint

1873 $20 Gold Carson City Coin of the Week 5-8- 2011

More
13 years 1 week ago #2546 by coindrummer
Hi Deepsouthspike

I would not doubt that Abe was buried with at least one or two of the coins he brought forth into history...perhaps a few 1870-CC treasures!
As Rusty pointed out, the great man died broke and even in debt....amazing!

I have never seen a "CC" gold or silver bar. If anyone out there knows different, please let us in on it.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #2548 by randysc
Belay-
In regards to your question about the increase in gold production of 1874 over 1873 by "five fold", as I said the total gold production for 1873 totaled a face value of $530,710. When you add up the total face value of the gold production for 1874 it comes to $2,575,360. that is an increase of nearly five times, well 4.85 times actually, close to five times. Even when total the number of gold coins minted in 1874 over 1873, it is an increase of 4.4 times.
As to your question about the gold deposited was government property or deposited by individuals, well , I don't know. Perhaps another C.C.C.C.O.A. member has the answer, if so,please share it with us. It would be interesting to know.
You pose an interesting thought about the existance of any C.C. bullion bars. It would be quite something to know if any were around and to have one, would be a priceless treasure, to be sure!

Loosechange-
Thank you for your compliment. As far as the price jump between VF and Unc. I would reckon it demonstrates the testement of its rarity.
Should I someday aquire an 1873 C.C. double eagle of my own, I believe it will be more towards the VF end. Maybe even a Fine.

Carsonite-
Always an honor to hear from you. Thank you for your encouraging words. I try to keep facts condensed and to the point, kind of the "Readers Digest" version. But I do try to say enough to give somewhat a picture for the reader to invision. We C.O.W.boys do this for the love of the coinage and the history that is attached to it, and it gives us joy to share it with others. Thanks again.

Drummer-
Always a pleasure to hear from you. Your posts are always so upbeat and positive, when I read them it is evident you affection for Carson City coins is second to none.......well maybe second to mine.
Let me know when you get your uncirculated example of an 1873-C.C. twenty, then I'll get mine. Thanks again, man.

Deepsouth-
I have seen some small ingots of silver and gold from the Comstock that were made by assayers. I've seen several made by an assayer who worked out of Gold Hill. His name was Conrad Wiegand and he was a strong proponent of monetary ingots, ingots with a specific amount of metal that equaled its worth to be used in commerce. His ingots were of different weights and values that were stamped on them along with his name, of course. They are very pricey. One that is about the size of a pocket watch fob could go from $3,000 to $6,000.
On a side note, When reading your last C.O.W. post of the 1876-C.C. $10 gold eagle (I was late in reading it by a week or two) you mentioned the book "History of the Big Bonanza" written by Dan De Quille (William Wright), it happens that I have a vintage 1876 copy of the book. Actually I have two copys, one is a bit rough looking but the other one is in pretty good shape. I prize them as one of my favored C.C. coins. I'll have to bring them to the C.C. show sometime. Well, thanks for your kind words.
Thanks to all of you for your compliments and support, it is a extreme honor to be a involved with such fine poeple. Soldier on
C.O.W.boys!

More
13 years 6 days ago #2549 by coindrummer
Hi Randy SC

Thank you for the kind words...it's great to have you aboard as one of the COWboys...It's downright fun, aint it?

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 6 days ago #2550 by Loosechange
To echo Drummer, it sure is fun!! This project has opened my eyes to information that probably would not be found anywhere else on earth. I am honored to be associated with this group of "COWboys".

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 6 days ago #2551 by deepsouthspike
Randy,

In addition to the alluring coins of the Carson City Mint, I am an absolute fan of the vintage literature that surrounds the Comstock era as well. I would love to see any photos of "The Big Bonanza" 1876 edition if you are able to post on this forum or via e-mail.

If you need any assistance in posting photos on this forum I would be more than glad to guide you through the process or post them for you. (This also goes for any other CCCCOA member as well)
While I am certainly no expert, I have come a long long way from what I once understood in the world of computers. I had the most amazing Team of Teachers whom included, Nicole, Maya and the Wizard of Carson City Coins himself, Rusty Goe.

And yes, this is such a Wonderful group of C4OA members enjoying the 111 week project. I would like to explore more ways to broaden the popularity of what has been created in this incredible forum to assist other Numismatists in exploring their thoughts and ideas and talents in relations to the old West coins of the Carson City Mint.

I travel extensively with my job but one kind of a funny thing about living on the East coast is awaking each morning and picking up my Blackberry to see who was up during the night at 3 and 4 am my time (Eastern Standard Time)creating new posts. I understand the majority of the postings come from the West coast and then I see Loosechange's postings pop up at 330am (EST) (I understand Loosechange lives on the East coast as I do and I say to myself, does this Man ever sleep??? Or is it that he just gets as excited as I do to read everyones latest postings?

What a wealth of knowledge has been shared here so far, I look forward to what can still be learned about Carson City Coins and about the people who created them and collect them today. You all are like a second family!

Best always
Tom DeFina.....deepsouth

More
13 years 6 days ago #2553 by randysc
Hey, Deepsouth-
Well I make no bones about my inexperience in posting of pictures on the internet. When it comes to certain things of this computer age, I still am in the horse and buggy days. I would love to post pictures of my books, if you believe you can guide me through the process, I would be willing to give it a shot. I have tried before, but just haven't grasped hold of it yet, but hey, I'll try again. Thanks for your help.
-R-

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds