c4oa header mint

1882-CC $10 Gold Eagle "CC" Coin of the Week 10-30-2011

More
12 years 6 months ago #3525 by deepsouthspike
1882-CC $10 Gold Eagle Carson City Coin of the week 10-30-2011

1882-CC Eagle Obverse

When I first began researching the 1882-CC Gold Eagle coins, I wondered why this particular date in the series had been left to the near end of the 111- week project. Perhaps it was because a small hoard of approximately thirty to forty examples in grades XF40 to AU55 reached the market in the 1990’s and is possibly not considered as rare or exciting of a date? Resources estimate anywhere between 125 to 235 examples survive today from an original mintage total of 6,764 (all of which were minted in September of 1882). It was actually quite a decrease from the previous years’ mintage of 24,015. Douglas Winter wrote,” The rarest coins in the Ten dollar “CC” series are those minted from 1870 to 1879, the sole exception being the 1882-CC which is about as rare as the most available date from the 1870’s.
1882 Nevada Newspaper

The year 1882 saw headlines in the newspapers describing how Outlaw Jesse James had been shot in the back of the head, and about the new mineral ore discoveries that were being made on the Comstock while rumors filled the air in and around Carson City of James Crawford being replaced as Superintendent of the Carson City Mint. To make matters even more confusing, other rumors also circulated in the local newspapers saying Crawford would be promoted to the position of Director of the Mint replacing Horatio Burchard, unfortunately this rumor never came true. By February of 1882, Crawford had logged nearly 20,000 hours as Superintendent at the “CC” Mint, he had about as much experience as any man who had held this position at a United States Mint.
1882 book on Mining and Engineering

The 1882-CC Eagle is estimated in overall rarity as number 10 of 19 in the series. This date clearly circulated as many are seen with abrasions and few remain with any original luster. It has also been noted that most of the higher grade examples seen have been either dipped or cleaned. There is just a single die variety known for this date and is quite rare above AU grades and extremely rare in Mint State with just a few pieces currently known. The 82-CC is usually seen with weakness on the hair of liberty, on some of the stars, in the centers, and on the neck, feathers, wingtips and claws. In my research of past auctions, out of the 22 NGC and PCGS no problem graded examples that sold between Jan 2007 and August 2011 only one example graded XF40, two XF45, five at AU50, four at AU53, five at AU55, and five at the AU58 level. The best eye appeal noted was on the AU55 examples.
1882-CC Eagle Reverse

Current Coin Values as of September 2011 list the 82-cc Eagles as the following varying price ranges
F-12 ($985), VF-20 ($1,150), EF40 ($1,500 to $1,750), AU50 ($3,250 to $4,500) and AU58 at ($15,000)

Christian Gobrecht is credited with the design along with James B. Longacre being noted for the added motto in the scroll. Metal composition is comprised of .900 in Gold and .100 in Copper and the weight is listed as approximately 16.718 grams with a reeded edge and measuring about 27mm in diameter.
1882 Atlas Geology of the Comstock Lode and the Washoe District (Nevada Mining)

As Christmas 1882 approached James Crawford turned 50 years old. There appeared to be no signs of work stoppages ahead at the “CC” Mint. Bullion was coming in at a steadier pace than in many years. Rusty Goe wrote, “Crawford could march now into 1883 with his head held high ready to lead the Mint under his command to a repeat performance of the year just passed. This time around there would be no journalistic bees swarming around his office targeting him with stinging allegations.” I believe “Rusty Goe perfectly summed up 1882 when he wrote “In many respects, 1882 had been a year of redemption for both Crawford and the Carson City Mint. Henceforth the air, for a season anyway, would be clear above the Mint – except for the streams of sulphuric smoke billowing out of the chimneys – and the hiss of behind – the –back rumors concerning James Crawford’s job security would be all but silenced. At fifty years of age, James had caught his second wind in life, providing him with impetus to finish the race.”
“1882-CC” mini silver bar

While I was only able to come onboard with the 111 – week project near the finishing touches, I found it to be a fascinating learning experience and such a rewarding opportunity to be included in such a worthy endeavor. I am truly fortunate to have made so many wonderful friendships along the way!

Sources:
The Mint on Carson Street (Rusty Goe)
James Crawford - Master of the Mint at Carson City – A Short Full Life (Rusty Goe)
The Official Redbook – A Guide book of United States Coins (Yeoman and Bressett)
Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint (Douglas Winter and James Halperin)

Nevada State Museum “CC Mint”

Please note – It was necessary to post this article just a day early due to my work schedule – it was discussed in advance and cleared to do so with full consideration and respect towards our last contributor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3526 by randysc
Hey Deepsouth-
Nice to see you back with the COW team with your VERY interesting article on the 1882-CC gold eagle. I hadn't realized that this coin was minted in its entirety in only one month. But that's what this project is all about, making that information available for all. Too bad for James Crawford, getting so much accomplished and making such headway by 1882 and then only having three more years of life. I especially liked your picture of the book by the U.S. Geological Survey of "Geology of the Comstock Lode and the Washoe District". I was bidding on a copy just like that one in an internet auction once, only to be outbid in the end. I have yet to see another one offered.
In closing I would like to thank you for all the complements and support you gave me in my COW postings. This project, as you know, has been a great venture making available a vast goldmine of information for so many. I truly appreciate all your contributions to this site and to the club as well. Dedicated members, such as you, are the glue that bonds to make this club so strong. Thanks again and stay the course and lets take this club to the future for more positive ventures.
Until then, I'll always remain,
a friend, a fellow member,
and with respect,
-R-
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by randysc.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3529 by Loosechange
Deepsouth!!!! Welcome back my friend. Excellent article, like Randy did not realize that the entire mintage was completed within one months time. Great stuff and was glad to see another great contribution from you on this fantastic project. WOW $1500-$1750 for an EF40 example? that would be a great find.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago #3530 by Garryn

More
12 years 6 months ago #3537 by Belayoff
Tom,

I want to personally thank you for your terrific contribution to the Coin of the Week project. Your final article on the 1882 CC Eagle is a perfect exacmple of your depth of knowledge on the subject. As with all of your past articles, the supplemental photographs and support materials leave me wondering where in the world you came up with all these items?

Question... do you know the grade of the 1882-CC Eagle exemplified in your article? It appears to be a real beauty with a better than average strike, especially on the reverse which is amazingly well defined.

Please tell me a little about the Carson City mini-bar of silver. I've never seen one before.

Thanks for writing yet another great article. This final COTW article is especially appreciated given the crazy work schedule that we all know you are currently wrestling with.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 6 months ago #3541 by Carsonite
Tom,

When Belay Off announced that a "guest" contributor would post the 107th coin in the Coin of the Week project, I wondered who he could have possibly lined up. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that you were the "guest" contributor. You've been such a staunch supporter of the C4OA, almost from the club's inception, and I know if you had the time you would be much more active on this discussion board. I was glad to see that you reconnected with the COWboys and were able to finish off your group's part of this project.

As usual, you presented a text-and-visual article that is full of interested things to read and see. I appreciate you including some comments about James Crawford in your contents. If we are going to love everything that the Carson City Mint and its coins stand for, we should also love James Crawford—He was a long-neglected part of the whole story.

I can understand your amazement about how rare the 1882-CC $10 gold piece is. It is a date that does not often get the respect it deserves.

Good job Tom! And thanks for being such a big booster of the C4OA: baseball caps and polo shirts with the club's logo, and everything else you do.

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds