c4oa header mint

1873-CC Without Arrows 10c CC Coin of the Week Part Two - 12-18-11

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3830 by Carsonite
Article Removed – January 2, 2012

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Ms. Maya.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3834 by Loosechange
Fantastic article Rusty!!! All of the other so called rarities pale in my opinion to the 1873-CC no arrows. I have placed this complete post in my one archives and I will be one to root on the sidelines when and if Mr Battle Born decides to sell and may it again rest in a collection of one that truly respects this issue and the others from the Mint on Carson Street.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago #3836 by Garryn
Just a stunning article and like the final addition to the Eliasberg Collection, this article on the 1873-CC No Arrows dime is a monumental capstone to the Coin of the Week Project.

I particularly enjoyed your description of the drama associated with the Menjou sale. I have seen bits and pieces of that before, but nothing as comprehensive as you have presented.

Thank you Rusty.

Garry

More
12 years 4 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #3838 by Carsonite
To Loosechange & GarryN,

I appreciate that both of you took the time to read my article (Parts 1 and 2) on the 1873-CC Without Arrows dime, and followed through by posting your positive comments. It blesses me whenever I hear that anyone has learned new things and acquired further understanding from reading what I have written.

You guys, the other COWboys and I have come along way over the past two years and three months of working on the Coin of the Week project. One by one we (those of us who remain) should all walk out on a stage and take a bow, and then form together as a human chain in a row and take a collective bow.

Mission accomplished!

Thanks,

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Carsonite.

More
12 years 4 months ago #3839 by Carsonite
Michael "The Drummer,"

I have posted a reply to your commentary about my final COTW article in the Part One section (right under where you left your message).

Rusty

C4OA Lifer!

More
12 years 4 months ago #3845 by Belayoff
Carsonite,

The story of the 1873-CC No Arrows Dime never fails to fascinate me. But the way you tell the story inspires me.

Many years ago, a very accomplished friend and rock climbing partner of mine told me that her one great academic desire was to find a subject of great importance and meaning, then research, study and immerse herself in the subject to become more knowledgeable than any other person in the world on this particular topic.

I thought of my friend Kristen and her lofty goal when I read your novelette on the King of Carson City coins. I wondered if she ever rose to such a virtuoso echelon of knowledge as my friend and numismatic mentor, Rusty Goe has most certainly done.

Those of us who have read Rusty's books know the level of research you've done to understand the people, politics and the times surrounding the Carson City coins of your specialty. But his recounting of the history of the 1873-CC No Arrows Dime was absolutely overwhelming in detail. How in the world, I thought, does Rusty come up with not only the detailed description of this particular coin in some little-known, 19th century auction catalog, but he also compares the "number of words" that were used to describe this unique coin as compared to the descriptions of other important coins in this 100+ year old auction!

Elsewhere in the article, Rusty presents quotes right out of the personal notebook of famous collector John H. Clapp, where Clapp mentions that DeWitt Smith said A. G. Heaton owned an example (of the 1873-Cc No Arrows dime). It's this kind of incredibly accurate detail and minutia from an era long ago, that makes me wonder if this Rusty Goe fellow I know is actually another Highlander?

I wouldn't be surprised to read in an article by Rusty that explains the indistinct smudge in the top corner of some particularly rare CC coin as being from the left hand thumb print of Harold Budd, discerned by Rusty through his exhaustive comparison of the thumb print swirls found on the original birth records of every prominent numismatist of the past 150 years. Indubitably so, Mr. Holmes!

There are other segments of the No Arrows dime story that are well known to all. One particular side story always make me shake my head in wonder. This is the recounting of the trade for William Woodin's two $50 Half Unions in exchange for "several crates" of coins from the Philadelphia mint, which likely would have included unique patterns, pyx box leftovers and a myriad of other coins.

I get excited when a friend calls me to look through a dozen coins found in some old shoe box. I can hardly imagine the feeling of exploration and excitement Woodin, Nagy and Haseltine had when going through several crates of coins from the Philadelphia mint's storage room. It gives me goose bumps just to think about it!

Rusty, I want to express how much the COWBOY's and I appreciate the significant effort and time that went into the 1873-CC No Arrows Dime article as well as the three other Coin of the Week postings you've written. Sharing your experience and decades of study has provided your C4OA followers with unique knowledge, perspective and, as I've said many times, inspiration to excel in this wonderful avocation of ours.

Thanks sincerely for capping-off the Carson City Coin of the Week project with the four terrific articles about the big four CC royalty. Given the upcoming Carson City coin event during the Stacks Auction in the ANA Convention this coming August, the timing could not have been better.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds