c4oa header mint

new collecting

More
14 years 2 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #948 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:new collecting
Yep, we have our first tombstone posted to the discussion board now !

The one on Page 3 payable to George Bell is dated June 1, 1893 when T. R. Hofer was also Superintendent of the Mint. I also have another dated April 12, 1887 to "Chas E. Elliott, Sec'y". Another, a certificate of deposit, dated Nov. 1, 1895, by C. L. Deady payable to C.J. Boskowitz.

Boskowitz signed the check on the back.

In the link below you can see that on page 7, Charles L. Deady was appointed to the Carson City Board of Trustees on December 11, 1905. Henry Rice appears on the first page as President of the Board in the 1870's and T.R. Hofer also appears on the third page as President of the same Board in the 1890's.

www.carson-city.nv.us/Modules/ShowDocume...spx?documentid=20196

C.J. Boskowitz was Assistant Inspector General to the Grand Army of the Republic. Here is a report he submitted.

books.google.com/books?id=QboqCFHfN_0C&p...%20boskowitz&f=false
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Carsonite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #3095 by Garryn
A poster on Collector's Universe said that he found two checks signed by Theodore Hofer at a garage sale. Wow. He also posted photos. Someone also posted a photo of the Carson City Bullion and Exchange Bank. The description at the Western Nevada Historic Photo Collection said the bank was on the south east corner of Carson and Proctor streets and the City Hall is now at that location. wnhpc.com/details/photo0100

Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Carsonite. Reason: Sizing

More
12 years 8 months ago #3096 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:new collecting
Nice picture Garry!!! I have been picking up some Carson City Mint memorabelia the past few months and when I can get some free time I will post some pictures for all to enjoy.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 8 months ago #3098 by Garryn
Yea, I took the picture on Saturday. hahaha.

I've seen pictures like this in the Currency forum at Collector's Universe. What strikes me as interesting is that these banks produced some beautiful currency and checks yet the buildings the banks resided in were very plain and nondescript.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3120 by maryelise8863
Replied by maryelise8863 on topic Re:new collecting
We need to get Dan McCarty on the discussion board. He collects memorabilia, including checks, having to do with CC and Virginia City. He'd have some interesting stories to add.

Mary Elise

Mary Elise

More
12 years 8 months ago #3121 by maryelise8863
Replied by maryelise8863 on topic Re:new collecting
Oh, and John Armonas:

There is a member who has two grading sets in process. Rusty requested he write an article for Curry's Chronicle. I don't want to give too much away, but watch for it!

Mary Elise

Mary Elise

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds