c4oa header mint

C4OA Meeting

More
13 years 2 months ago #2176 by Belayoff
Replied by Belayoff on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
Tom and Randy,

I've wondered about all of these same questions many times. Why don't more C4OA members step up to the plate to volunteer and make these events happen? I don't profess to know the answer but I can point out one nuance which might be partially to blame.

The local coin clubs that both of you have served so well are just that...local. While the C4OA has over 300 members, the club is populated mostly with members from all over the United States. Yes, there are a couple dozen Nevadan members who have come to the meetings, but that is not the same as the huge local attendance that both of you have experienced with your area coin clubs.

The C4OA is no less worthy of such participation, nor are its members any less sophisticated in the subject matter. Be that as it may, the club's widely flung membership may be one reason our meetings are not as easily produced.

Regarding Tom's query about paying an organizer... Actually, that's pretty good "out of the box" thinking! There are those who would not agree because these kinds of club events are traditionally set up by the members, a fact that speaks to the members' mutual CC collecting passion. There are thousands of event planners across the nation and many are very good. I know because my wife owned and operated one such company for 22 years before retiring.

Cost might be a hurdle, though I am confident a reasonably priced event planner could be found. Timing is also very important as the most cost efficient and contact effective way to promote such a meeting is through Curry's Chronicle. Any major club meeting needs to be advertised through no less than two issues of Curry's in advance. Raffle prize donations are also dependent upon Curry's Chronicle to get the word out.

Without Curry's as the promotional platform, a separate promotional mailing campaign would have to be done, and this would be costly.

These are just a few of the considerations.

Belay Off

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2217 by randysc
Replied by randysc on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
I have been talking with another member about a possible solutions to the regional meetings in Carson City. I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds in tossing out this suggestion but maybe it would get the dialoge going on this matter. What if a group of members (a commitee, you could call it) got together and each took on a specific task that is performed to orginize the meeting, all working together to make it happen. It would take the worklode and responsibilities of the back of just one person distributing it evenly among the group. I, myself would not be opposed to being one of such a group. It may be too late for this year, I don't know, but could be an answer for the future. Any other members have thoughts or suggestions? Bring them on. It seems I hear more reasons as to why we can't have a meeting and no talk of what we can do to make it possible.
Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox now, but give it some thought and let's get some dialog going.
-Randy-

More
13 years 2 months ago #2221 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
Is anyone thinking about coming to the ANA in Chicago in August?

More
13 years 2 months ago #2222 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
Hi Garryn

Oh would I ever love to come back to Chicago. Last time I was there, I played a gig with the "Spiral Starecase" band (correct spelling)...remember the big hit from 1969.."I love you more today than yesterday..." Our gig was at the Rosemont Horizon theater. We hired a great 6-piece horn section from the Chicago area..man was that a great gig! We had an entourage of folks just busting at the seams taking us all out on the town, showing us all the sites.
Alas, I don't think I'll be able to make it this year...so many darned things going on. If there is any change in that, I will let you know.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2223 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
That is Allstate Arena now. Still there. Still looks the same. I haven't heard that song in a long time! Wow.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2225 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:C4OA Meeting
Hi Garryn

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the old Rosemont Horizon is still there although re-named...it was a fantastic experience for all of us...they rolled out the red carpet for us on that gig! I miss those days...young and wild...lived for drums and music...ahhhhh

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds