c4oa header mint

PCDA International Currency and Coin Convention

More
12 years 6 months ago #3607 by Loosechange
Finding checks and thigs related to Carson City as well as the Comstock region just adds flavor to the mix.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3608 by maryelise8863
Loosechange, I'm definitely not poo-pooing the ephemera. But I'm only half way to a 10-piece CC type set. My little brain can only handle so much at a time. I am not ready to expand my horizons yet.

Mary Elise

More
12 years 6 months ago #3610 by Loosechange
I know you weren't. I was just saying how much fun it is finding historical documents and things related to the Carson Mint as well as the Comstock. Though I have never acually seen the collection I know that Randysc has a collection of ephemera to die for. I would love to see Randy write an article relating to his collection with pictures in an upcoming Curry's Chronicle/

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 6 months ago #3618 by maryelise8863
Loosechange, I would like to see that article as well from Randysc! I know Mcfly has a nice check collection going too.

I myself passed on an opium box CC coin (that's exonumia, right?) that I'm still kicking myself over.

Mary Elise

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #3619 by randysc
Loosechange-
Thank you so much for the encouraging words about my "Comstock Signatures Collection". You are so right about having documents with signatures of people who were influential in shaping the history of Carson City and the Comstock area, what a fantastic collecting direction it is. Some of my collection consists of signatures of D.O.Mills, William Sharon and William Ralston of the Bank of California, James G. Fair and John Mackay of the Big Bonanza mining firm, Adolph Sutro of Sutro's tunnel, James Pollock who was the Director of the U.S. Mints when the C.C. Mint was being built and of its earliest days of operation. There are others but my most recent addition is a short letter written and signed by S.L. Clemens (Mark Twain), a famous resident of Virginia City. My dream set would be a set of signatures of all the superintendents of the Carson City mint, a big challenge but I think its possible.
The cool thing about collecting signed documents is, as with coins, instead of assuming the possibilities of who's hands it may have passed through, you know that these documents have made contact with a noted person from history. As you hold it in your hands you know at one time it was held in theirs, giving you a direct link to them. Its a humbling feeling.
As far as writting such an article for the Chronicle, humm, I reckon its possible if I could learn how to format it correctly with the needed pictures. If there is interest there, I will give it some serious thought. Thanks again.
-R-
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by randysc.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3620 by Loosechange
Randy,
That is the exact reason that I enjoy ephemera. You know that the document was in their hands when they signed it. That must be some collection that you have. When I end up finishing the "CC" half set and the three coins needed for the "CC" type set, I am going to look for signatures similar to what you have done. It is so fascinating.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds