c4oa header mint

1878-CC quarter semi-cancelled die close-up

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #250 by Ms. Maya
Well,

Thanks, Rusty!

Rusty was able to work some magic using the original tiff images of the quarter. I know some of you guys are bright-white lovers, but man, I just can't pass up beautiful toning. That, with the cancelled-die variety makes this one of the best in my set so far.

Hope everyone enjoys it. It's my hand-picked inheritance!

...Maya
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by Carsonite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #251 by Garryn
Its hard to believe its only a 64

More
14 years 9 months ago #273 by Garryn
This one looks like the cancelled die variety

www.jjteaparty.com/APIC/84732.jpg

Yes?

More
14 years 9 months ago #274 by coindrummer
Hi Garry The "Teaparty" specimen of the 1878-CC quarter dollar you provided does not look like a semi-cancelled die variety to me. I'm not sure what that line is that I see in the picture. I would love to see a close-up shot of that coin or better yet, the real coin itself. Note my close-up and Ms. Maya's close-up of the 1878-CC quarter semi-cancelled die variety. Note that the raised die line is higher on our coin pictures than the picture of the "Teaparty" specimen. Also, the genuine semi-cancelled die variety raised die line does not continue on through miss Liberty's arm as does the line in the "Teaparty" coin. If anyone else has an expert opinion concerning this, we'd all love to hear it. Is the "Teaparty" specimen a new new possible variety, or just an obverse coin scratch? it's hard to tell just from that picture. I hope this has helped you a bit.

C4OA Lifer!

More
14 years 9 months ago #277 by Garryn
Thanks for that analysis, Coindrummer. I have to look at the two more closely. I hope one of the experts clears it up for us.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #281 by Garryn
Did someone here buy that quarter? It is not on the list anymore. Here is the picture if anyone wishes to comment.

You can barely see the scratch, but Coindrummer is correct, I dont think the scratch matches the position of the cancelled die.
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by Garryn.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds