c4oa header mint

Toning Issues using ASE Silve Eaglesr

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #2515 by coindrummer
Greetings all C4OAers and "CC" fans

My article here concerns a little toning experiment I did using two ASE (American Silver Eagles)....no, these are not "CC" Morgan silver dollar coins. I would not even consider using beloved "CC' Morgans for this experiment so I used a 2005 ASE and a 2008 ASE, both purchased in August 2008 in brand new brilliant uncirculated condition and look-wise identical in every way.

The 2005 ASE was housed in a black-felt jewl type display box and the 2008 ASE was locked into an "Airtite" coin holder. Here are the results:
Obverse

Reverse

These are amazing toning results for only a few short years time.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #2516 by Ms. Maya
Great article, Michael! The images turned out great.

I'm sure if Weimar White were on the discussion board he'd have a thing or two to say about the proper way to store coins so you preserve their original silvery surfaces.

I like natural toning, but it's pretty scary what a few years in a felt case can do... Kudos to you for the long-term experiment, though!

Maya

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #2517 by coindrummer
Hiya ms Maya!!!

Thanks for all your help getting these images posted. New computer....love it but it's got a ways to go before I'm "comfortable" with it.

Don't let this happen to your coins:
Obverse

ugh!!!

the drummer :silly:

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #2519 by deepsouthspike
Hi drummer,

Put the toned one on ebay, people will probably bid hundreds of dollars for it, snicker!

Neat experiment, you should snail mail a copy of this to Weimar White, he would really enjoy this one!

deepsouth.....

p.s. I still love my green and orange toned CC Morgans!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #2520 by coindrummer
Hi deepsouthspike

Oh man! I love it!! E-Bay....why didn't I think of that!

I'll be the next Bill Gates! hahaha

I too love and appreciate toned coins but only if they are beautifully toned...I do have some such examples...so does Ms. Maya!

My "experiment" here however has produced what would have to be considered very ugly toning. This should serve as a warning for all those well-intentioned collectors who might be considering storage of their prized silver coins in these jewel box type displays. Just imagine if my experiment coin would've been a beautiful MS 1889-CC Morgan.... Owww!

Shudder - shudder :ohmy:

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 week ago #2523 by Garryn
That is a great experiment, Mike. What does that say about Airtite holders? Were you expecting that result?

I have an ASE, 1997 I think, that has some amazing toning on it. I bought it for $25 10 to 12 years ago. With all the controversy over AT coins, I am begining to wonder if mine is also artificial. I will try to take a decent pohoto of it and post it here.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds