c4oa header mint

1870-CC Rotated reverse

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #1992 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:1870-CC Rotated reverse
I am certainly not calling into question Mr. Rinkor's reputation. I am just thinking that the coin was on his website before the upsurge in publicity about counterfeit holders. It is possible he and other dealers fall victim to this occasionally.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Garryn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #1993 by deepsouthspike
Garryn,

I completely agree with you,
I just took a look at the website and this coin is still listed for sale with the same exact poor photo quality. Only now the price has been dropped by $500 to $16,500.

I also noticed that all the other seated dollars that are listed on the same page as this coin all have better photographs. He lists the coin as having just short of a 90 degree rotation but I would estimate its a lot closer to 65/70 degrees rotation as is the coin I purchased.

I suppose if I was a Dealer trying to sell a pricey coin such as this piece that I have had in inventory for over a year now, I would at least make an attempt to put out a better quality image of the coin. This has not been the case which certainly does leave you thinking???

Let the buyer beware.....
Tom DeFina

More
13 years 2 months ago #1994 by Garryn
Replied by Garryn on topic Re:1870-CC Rotated reverse
It's got me thinking, but coins are not easy to photograph as it is. I don't think the dealer would sell the coin unless he was confident it was real, and I don't know if he has examined the holder closely. I am not an authority on counterfeit holders. PCGS was holding the diagnostics on counterfeit holders close to the vest until recently, unlike NGC, who was forthcoming soon after the scandal hit.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2000 by coindrummer
Oh I'd give anything if I could get that right now....darned economy any way....thanks for showing this

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 2 months ago #2003 by Loosechange
I also went and viewed the coin on the sellers website and I like you wonder why anyone with a coin of that stature would have such a lousy picture. I sure would hope that it is real or that would be one very expensive mistake. I viewed some of Don Rinkor's coins at the Boston ANA but I am not sure if the 1870-CC rotated die was among them.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 2 months ago #2005 by coindrummer
Hi Deepsouthspike

Don is certainly a reputable dealer. he's been around for quite a long time. From what I know (and most of you know), Don specializes in seated dollars. I have seen his booth at many different major coin shows nationally.
I can't for the life of me imagine that a dealer with his status would knowingly put a bogus coin on the market. I mean, with a price tag of $16,500, would that be worth risking your reputation over? A risk that could potentially cost him literally millions of dollars in revenue. Any accredited dealer would never risk such a thing especially over a coin in the under 20K group. A lot of $$$ yes, but not enough to risk a life-long business over.
Still, if anyone out there in our club decides to purchase this coin, make sure that you have a 30 day "test drive" and then by all means, get a second (or more) opinion(s. If a purchase is made from Don's booth at a show, you could pop it right on over to the PCGS booth on the very same day....as long as you have that guaranteed approval "test drive" provision, I think you'd probably be pretty safe.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds