1874-CC $5 was created by coindrummer
1874-CC half eagle

C4OA Lifer!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2451 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:1874-CC $5
Hi Michael, According to Doug Winter's book " Gold Coins of the Old West The Carson City Mint 1870-1893" he states that this date is one of the easiest to obtain of the first eight years of minting half eagles. What was your experience in finding this date. Your coin is very strong for the grade and shows a lot of character. What are your thoughts on this beautiful specimen?

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Loosechange. Reason: spelling error

More
13 years 1 month ago #2455 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:1874-CC $5
Hi Loosechange

My advice is simply to go out and try to find one (1874-CC $5)...especially one with nice eye-appeal. Nice examples that are even remotely close to being affordable are becoming increasingly harder to locate.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2456 by coindrummer
Hi again Loosechange

By the way...I love Doug Winters book (edited by our own C4OA member James L. Halperin) Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint is one of my fave books....the figures and stuff need to be updated of course (all numismatic books suffer this same "dating" fate) but the description and varieties work is awesome.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

More
13 years 1 month ago #2458 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:1874-CC $5
Hi Drummer,
I have both Doug Winter books and the Bible of Carson City coinage, "The Mint on Carson Street" by our mentor Rusty. Gold coins of Carson City have alway intrigued me and I am always devouring anything I can read on that subject. Of course the reading and research is a lot cheaper than the actual coins so viewing the coins our members post are always a special treat.

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
13 years 1 month ago #2459 by coindrummer
Hi Loosechange

Ah ha! You have officially been bitten by the "CC" gold bug!

It happens to a lot of us (present company included)...that's one of the reasons why these gold "CC" rarities (especially the coins with survival figures 200 and below) keep getting harder to find. The real choice ones are being "cherry- picked" and those collectors tend to be holding on to them longer.
I know that I probably will not be able to collect all 111 "CC" coins in my lifetime...even 110 would be an amazing feat...but I would like to attain the complete 57-piece/3 denomination "CC" gold coin set.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds