c4oa header mint

Grade the Half Eagle

More
12 years 5 months ago #3739 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
One thing that I have learned is that a problem coin will always be a problem coin. Some better than others but still the same.

just my .02

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3744 by Dale
Replied by Dale on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
Hi Maryelise,
It does appear to have some waer on the high points both obverse and reverse, so I would guess it to be either XF45 or AU50 as it does have some pleasing lustre. I'm far from an expert on this as I just recently purchased my first $5 CC gold coin, an 1893-CC NGC MS58.
Dale

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #3745 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
Hi Maryelise

Gosh-Oh-Gosh! It's so darned hard to accurately grade a coin even from the best photos. Very tricky thing...
Never-the-less I will attempt a wild guess based on the following observations: (These are only my opinions mind you, based solely on photo views - this "CC" collector/drummer is NOT a professional grader and I just might be making a fool of myself here!)

1. Luster: I don't see too much luster on this piece...that does not mean that there isn't any....but I would need to see the coin live and in person under good lighting conditions to accurately note luster, and luster plays a huge role in the grading of coins. I actually see tiny hints of possible luster on the obverse in the date area and maybe on Liberty's hair bun, and slightly more possible luster scattered on the reverse...it's hard to tell though from a photo so I'm not 100% sure on that.

2. Surface: This coin has the many typical "bag-marks" so common to "CC" gold issues, predominately the early 1870's issues. From the surface impairments visible in your photo I would say the coin is in the XF-40 grade region. The devices/stars and lettering all have strong detail - the reverse eagle has even more nice detail (especially in the feathers) and would be typically graded higher than the obverse. The motto scroll looks "messed-up" to me but it cannot be properly determined if the problem is in the photo or on the coin. This date is considered fairly "common" for "CC" half eagles and many examples can be found with fairly nice surfaces, of course those issues do cost more $$$

3. Coloration: Again, this is where it is oh so important to view the coin live in person under good light, but in the photo I detect a greenish hue (particularly on the obverse) that either is the lighting from the camera flash OR evidence that the coin received a heavy "dipping" sometime in its past.
IF the green hue is from dipping then it is quite possible that this coin would be in an NGC holder graded "Genuine - XF Details"
IF the green hue is from the flash, then I would say the coin is in the VF-40/45 range.

According to Rusty Goe in his book TMOCS there are an estimated 700 to 850 survivors (1892-CC $5) in all grades. Within the grade range of XF-AU (which I believe your example here might be), there are 450 to 490 known to exist) Compared to many US gold coins, this is a scarce date...but for Carson City mint standards (where scarce & rare coins are the norm)this would be considered fairly common.

Whew! That's a whole bunch of words I know! It's possible that I might change my entire opinion with a live viewing and I hope that can happen some time at one of our future club events/get-togethers.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by coindrummer.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3746 by Loosechange
Replied by Loosechange on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
Welcome Dale!!!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing your 1893-CC Half eagle in the nice grade of MS 58. Are you building a type set of Carson City Minted coins? I myself have just purchase a 1891-CC eagle for mine and just need the Seated Liberty dollar and the Double eagle to complete the set. After that they will rest comfortably in the type set holder that Rusty Goe created.

Again look forward to your posts and most of all have fun on here!!!

Loosechange

Go "CC'S"

More
12 years 5 months ago #3748 by maryelise8863
Thanks Dale and Drummer!

If you go back to page two of this thread, you'll see the answer and my additional comments.

I do appreciate your feedback! It was nice having a CC gold coin in my hands for a little while. But if I'm going to get one someday, it'll either be a real bargain "details" or an XF!

PS - Welcome Dale!

Mary Elise

More
12 years 5 months ago #3750 by coindrummer
Replied by coindrummer on topic Re:Grade the Half Eagle
Hi Maryelise

Ah ha! I suspected it might be a "details" coin but wasn't sure...either way, I guessed the grade of the coin a bit low...

Personally, I would ALWAYS chose a properly graded coin over a "Details" every time...PCGS, NGC and ANACS holders. I've seen many of these "common date" (for "CC" standards) XF-45 range 1890's "CC" half eagles sell for very reasonable prices in nice eye-appealing, properly graded condition (PCGS or NGC).
As much knowledge as I've gained over the years, I am still very much a student and would always use a highly trusted and knowledgeable dealer and NEVER would I purchase a coin sight unseen.

I am so happy and flattered that you gained even a little bit of knowledge about "CC" half eagles from one of my posts...you've made my day! :) Thank you for mentioning it Maryelise.

the drummer

C4OA Lifer!

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds